This tropical fruit is portable, affordable and easy to eat, which are just some of the reasons that consumers picked it as the most popular item in the produce department. More than eight in 10 consumers (84%) put bananas in their cart this year.
Dole Food Co. plans to expand its Peel the Love banana tour this year, adding a second route to run the promotion concurrently in Eastern and Western cities starting Memorial Day weekend.
The parent company of Coral Gables, Fla.-based Banacol Marketing Corp. is undergoing a reorganization, but the company would not address rumors that Dole Fresh Fruit is considering a bid to buy the company.
The Fresh Express packaged salad line from Chiquita Brands International Inc. is a key element in the “turnaround strategy” for the banana giant as it acquires and merges operations with Fyffes PLC of Dublin.
Coral Gables, Fla.-based Del Monte Fresh Produce plans to open a multi-purpose facility this year in Oshawa, Ontario.
IFCO Systems’ reusable plastic container for bananas hasn’t officially hit the market, but the new RPC already is garnering attention from the industry.More Packer Stories for Bananas
- C.H. Robinson sliced apples use regional sourcing
- Fruit, vegetable prices on the rise with drought
- Auditor liability changing as courts, companies speak up
- Bland Farms begins packing Vidalia onions
- From the show floor: CPMA 2014 expo booths No. 1
- Vidalia onion grower, state official both claim victory in court