The likelihood of a cherry purchase dropped seven percentage points from Fresh Trends 2012, putting purchases near the level they were in 2011. The summer fruit was favored by consumers with kids at home, as was the case last year.
Stockton, Calif.-based OG Packing, which last year installed a 40-lane optical cherry sorting system, showed off its latest 32-lane sorter at the grower-shipper's annual grower lunch, April 10.
Apples likely made it through a cold, snowy Michigan winter in good shape, but other fruits may not have been as lucky.
FirstFruits Marketing wants the public to vote on youth-oriented projects in FirstFruits’ Opal Youth Make a Difference Initiative.
Growers expected an earlier-than-usual start to this year’s California cherry crop, but many said volume likely will be down compared to normal, especially in the southern San Joaquin Valley, which is the first growing area to produce fruit.
King Fresh LLC has acquired the license to market cherries from Stockton, Calif.-based Farmington Fresh Sales LLC, adding Farmington Fresh, Hy-Flyer and Mary Ellen cherry labels to the portfolio of King Fresh fruits.More Packer Stories for Cherries
Market Scope - Cherries — F.o.b.s as of Jan. 27
CHILE — Imports (27-34-11) — Imports via boat. Movement expected to remain about the same as Jan. 13-26. Port of entry: Los Angeles. Supply light. Trading moderate. Prices unchanged. 5-kilogram cartons bagged bing extra jumbo $30-32, jumbo $28-30, extra-large $26-28, large $20-22, medium $16-18. Quality good. Port of entry: Philadelphia. Trading moderate. Prices unchanged. 11-pound cartons bagged bing extra jumbo and jumbo $30, extra-large mostly $28, large $21-22, medium $16-18. Quality good.
- C.H. Robinson sliced apples use regional sourcing
- Bland Farms begins packing Vidalia onions
- Vidalia onion grower, state official both claim victory in court
- Organic group tours L.A. produce facilities
- Judge says new Vidalia onion start rule invalid
- Chefs reveal recipes for Golden Onion contest in Vidalia
- Fourth prison term ordered in Adams Produce fraud
- UPDATED: Watson stepping down from National Mango Board
- Mango deal begins with light volume
- CORRECTED: Export security program could trip exporters
- Sysco the distributor, not the source, in Subway outbreak
- Irradiation may be future option for exports