Offered in conjunction with Disney Consumer Products, they’re aimed at children ages 6 to 12 and meet Disney’s nutritional guidelines, according to a news release.
Inside the products are stickers, temporary tattoos or other items matching the Disney character on the label.
“We knew we needed to think beyond taking existing product, resizing it and giving it a kid-friendly label,” Tristan Simpson, director of marketing for Irwindale, Calif.-based Ready Pac Foods, said in the release. “Our research and development process included developing flavor profiles and utilizing ingredients specifically targeted to a younger palate.”
The four salads contain protein. They are:
• Pizza salad, featuring Disney characters Phineas and Ferb. Ingredients include romaine, pizza ranch dressing, low-fat mozzarella, pizza flatbread chips and mini turkey pepperoni.
• Taco salad, with characters from Disney Pixar’s Cars. Ingredients are romaine, salsa ranch dressing, chili lime chicken breast, roasted corn, black beans, tri-color tortilla strips and shredded carrots.
• Caesar salad, with stars from the program Shake It Up. Ingredients are romaine, yogurt Caesar dressing, roasted chicken breast, dried fruit blend, Parmesan-style cheese and multigrain Caesar croutons.
• Harvest Salad, with Phineas and Ferb. Ingredients are iceberg and romaine, fat-free ranch dressing, smoked turkey breast, fresh apples, pretzels and carrots.
The four mini meals are:
• Apples, ham and yogurt with Disney Princess characters. Ingredients are apples, smoked ham, vanilla yogurt and string cheese bites.
• Pizza bites with characters from Disney Pixar’s Cars. Ingredients are a mini flatbread, pizza sauce, dried tart cherries, mini turkey pepperoni and low-fat mozzarella.
• Turkey, crackers and cheese with Mickey Mouse and other characters. Ingredients are smoked turkey breast, carrots, grapes, wheat crackers, and Colby jack cheese.
• Veggies, chicken and pretzels, with Phineas and Ferb. Ingredients are carrots, chicken nuggets, ranch dip, broccoli florets and pretzels.
“Combining these innovative products with the beloved Disney brand brings real innovation to this category, and we believe that kids will love our new line,” Simpson said in the release.
Ready Pac has developed in-store, on-pack and online marketing programs for the products.
The new Cool Cuts items have up to four times fewer calories and 12 times less fat per serving than similarly targeted children’s products, according to Ready Pac.