The likelihood of a honeydew purchase fell five percentage points from Fresh Trends 2012, putting purchases at nearly the same level as 2010.
Melon growers in California report outstanding quality but surprisingly tepid demand for some varieties.
Watermelons and honeydew in Colorado’s Rocky Ford region, expected to start production around Aug. 5, will take a volume hit from the same hailstorm that wreaked havoc on the larger cantaloupe crop.
About 95 acres of cantaloupes from Colorado’s Rocky Ford region were destroyed in a hailstorm July 16.
Many Westside California melon grower-shippers have found the processing market to be a solid outlet for their product.
Retailers and restaurateurs who want to offer customers a unique melon experience look to a number of California Westside melon grower-shippers to fill that niche with a wide selection of specialty melons.More Packer Stories for Honeydew
Market Scope - Honeydew — F.o.b.s as of Aug. 18
SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY, CALIF. — Shipments (163-182-175) — Movement expected about the same. Trading moderate. Prices generally unchanged. 2/3 cartons 5s mostly $6-6.50, 6s mostly $6.50-7, 8s mostly $6-6.50. Quality generally good.
- C.H. Robinson sliced apples use regional sourcing
- Pinterest contest promotes healthy school lunchboxes
- From the show floor: Midwest Produce Expo 2014 booths 1
- From the show floor: Midwest Produce Expo 2014 booths 2
- From the show floor: Midwest Produce Expo 2014 booths 4
- From the show floor: Midwest Produce Expo 2014 booths 3