Importers report strong demand for melons at the start of the Guatemalan deals.
(UPDATED CONTENT 11:53 a.m.) Fresh Del Monte Produce Inc. posted a net sales increase of 3% and a gross profit increase of almost 40% for the third quarter this year compared to its performance in 2013.
IMMOKALEE, Fla. — Southern Corporate Packers Inc., is increasing acreage, growing some new items and expanding production of a commodity that isn’t widely grown in the fall.
The Giumarra Cos. plans to debut a redesign of its Nature’s Partner brand in October for fall and winter crops such as Mexican melons and Argentinean blueberries.
Kiss melons and finger limes may not seem like a likely pair initially, but Shanley Farms and Sandstone Melon Co. found the match provided a flavorful boost for consumers.More Packer Stories for Melons
Market Scope - Melons — F.o.b.s as of Aug. 18
SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY, CALIF. — Shipments (24-29-24) — Movement expected about the same. Trading moderate. Prices slightly higher. Unofficial prices 2/3 cartons hami 5-6s $10.95-13.25, orange-flesh, galia, juan canary and santa claus 5-6s $8.45-10.95. Quality generally good. Prices from trade sources. No f.o.b. report issued as of Aug. 18 because of supplies in few hands.
- Ag labor not part of Obama's immigration plan
- Paramount Citrus replaces Cuties brand with Wonderful Halos
- Sun Pacific buys Cuties brand, breaks ties with Paramount Citrus
- Wiggle room needed on sourcing GMO fruits and vegetables
- Thanksgiving Twitter party for Produce Mom
- Produce execution plagues Wal-Mart