Frieda’s is supporting the U.S. Department of Agriculture Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program and has worked with schools to assist wholesale partners in bringing more specialty items into schools.
Sterino Farms knew its leeks and fennel were quality products, but it turns out that some consumers — possibly a lot — don’t know what those items are or how to use them.
Working with retailers to grow interest in the specialty produce category is a top goal for shippers.
Jill Overdorf, director of business and culinary development at Coosemans L.A. Shipping, Vernon, Calif., said the company has a new sugar cane swizzle stick.
Los Alamitos, Calif.-based Frieda’s Inc., hired Marc Jimenez, formerly with U.S. Foodservice, as a buyer, according to Karen Caplan, Frieda’s president and chief executive officer.More Packer Stories for Specialties
Market Scope - Market Scope - Persimmons — F.o.b.s as of Dec. 9
SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY DISTRICT, CALIF. — Shipments (6-6-6) — Movement expected to decrease seasonally. Trading moderate. Prices lower. Cartons one-layer fuyu 20s $9.25-9.75, 22s mostly $9.25; hachiya 15s $10.75-12.75, 16s $10.75-12.75, 17s $9.75-11.75, 18s $9.75-11.75, 20s $7.75-9.75, 22s $7.75-9.75. Extra services included.
- Let’s ride ‘No GMO’ all the way to tropical paradise
- USDA proposes access for Chinese apples
- USDA restricts New Farm, Parker Products for PACA violations
- Sysco pays $19.4 million to settle refrigeration case
- Sysco’s purchase of U.S. Foods stirs anti-trust talk
- New Orleans Cold Storage announces two promotions