Interest in cucumbers increased this year, even though the percentages in Fresh Trends 2013 show a slight dip in the likelihood of purchase compared to last year (down two percentage points). Cucumbers made a notable jump in the list of top 20 vegetables this year, climbing from No. 11 in Fresh Trends 2012 to No. 7 this year.
J&R Baker Produce Inc. will market its own vegetables for the first time.
A Finland study confirms what may seem like common sense: Noroviruses are easily transferred to ready-to-eat foods via foodservice workers’ handling.
(UPDATED COVERAGE July 31) Two top officials at an Ontario greenhouse face criminal fraud charges for allegedly selling fresh vegetables from Mexico to Canadian retailers and representing them as Canadian produce.
Buyers should expect later starts for The Empire State’s sweet corn and cucumber deals, while green beans should begin harvesting on time but with lower volume.
Chuck Hollenkamp, a Wish Farms veteran of operations and sales, has retired but plans to remain seasonally involved with the company.More Packer Stories for Cucumbers
Market Scope - Cucumbers — F.o.b.s as of Aug. 18
MICHIGAN — Shipments (78-102-95) — Movement expected to decrease slightly. Trading moderate for medium, others fairly slow. Prices cartons 24s unchanged, others lower. 1 1/9-bushel cartons medium mostly $12-14.95, fair quality mostly $4-5.50, cartons 24s $5-6.85. Quality mostly good.
MEXICO CROSSINGS THROUGH OTAY MESA, CALIF. — Crossings (59-63-56) — Movement expected about the same. Trading large active at lower prices, others active. Prices medium slightly higher, large lower, 36s generally unchanged. Greenhouse 1 1/9-bushel cartons medium $22.95-24.95, fair quality $20.95-22.95, ordinary quality $14.95-16.95; large $18.95-20.95. Cartons 36s mostly $12.95. Quality generally good.
WESTERN AND CENTRAL NEW YORK — Shipments (16-32-33) — Movement expected about the same. Trading moderate. Prices higher. 1 1/9-bushel cartons medium mostly $14, fair quality $6-7, and cartons 24s $5-6. Quality good.
WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA — Shipments (12-6-5) — Movement expected to remain about the same. Trading moderate. Prices medium lower, fair quality higher. 1 1/9-bushel cartons/crates medium $16.35, fair quality $9.35-10.35.
- C.H. Robinson sliced apples use regional sourcing
- Cilantro implicated again in cyclospora outbreak
- Dole expands distribution of Salad Companions, organic blends
- New plant brings Baker Farms into fresh-cut leafy greens
- Mastronardi’s Eco Flavor Bowl Impact Awards finalist
- Trial date set in Chiquita clean water suit
- Food safety regulations will change industry, Brackett says
- Potato industry prepares for GMO offering
- USDA releases final 2008-2012 crop numbers
- Greening not likely to affect Texas citrus volumes, quality
- California program provides retail produce boost
- Guess who’s not hating on GMOs — you’ll be surprised