These handy lettuce blends make life easier for more than half of all consumers. The likelihood of a salad mix purchase fell six percentage points from Fresh Trends 2012, however, the mixes were the No. 1 produce item that consumers said they were buying now that they did not buy previously.
Dole Fresh Vegetables expects nationwide distribution of its Salad Companions, launched in June, by October.
Appa Fine Foods, Corona, Calif., is voluntarily recalling about 92,657 pounds of cooked chicken Caesar salad kits distributed at Sam’s Club after Michigan officials reported two retail samples tested positive for listeria.
Sweet Tomatoes and Souplantation restaurants are promoting a new quinoa and feta salad, available through the end of August, to provide consumers with fresh and trendy ingredients, said Kari Nagel, a spokeswoman for the San Diego-based soup, salad bar and bakery concepts.
Earthbound Farm, the new kid on the block at WhiteWave Foods Co., continues to boost its new parent company’s bottom line, accounting for almost 20% of WhiteWave’s net sales in the second quarter this year.
A one-two punch of increased banana costs and decreased sales of packaged salads left Chiquita Brands International Inc. reeling on the ropes in the second quarter as profits fell 42% compared with the second quarter of 2013.More Packer Stories for Salad Mix
- C.H. Robinson sliced apples use regional sourcing
- Dole expands distribution of Salad Companions, organic blends
- Cilantro implicated again in cyclospora outbreak
- New plant brings Baker Farms into fresh-cut leafy greens
- Mastronardi’s Eco Flavor Bowl Impact Awards finalist
- J&R Baker to market own vegetables
- Food safety regulations will change industry, Brackett says
- Potato industry prepares for GMO offering
- USDA releases final 2008-2012 crop numbers
- Greening not likely to affect Texas citrus volumes, quality
- California program provides retail produce boost
- Guess who’s not hating on GMOs — you’ll be surprised