The United Fresh Produce Association plans to honor 25 produce managers at its annual trade show May 1 in Dallas.
Winners of the United Fresh retail produce manager awards come from 15 states plus Canada, and represent 12 supermarket chains, independent retailers and commissaries, according to a news release.
The trade show, United Fresh 2012, runs May 1-3. The managers and their corporate produce directors will gather at the chairman’s reception and produce celebration dinner May 1 at the Hyatt Dallas at Reunion. Five grand prize winners will also receive $1,000 each.
The awards recognize efforts to increase produce consumption through merchandising, displays, promotions, customer and community service.
The winners are:
- Leslie Alex, Hannaford Bros., Dover, N.H.;
- Ricky Allemand, Brookshire Grocery Co., New Iberia, La.;
- John Ballard, Food City/K-VA-T Food Stores, Lafollete, Tenn.;
- Phil Burgess, Safeway Stores, Bend, Ore.;
- Brian Burrow, Brookshire Grocery Co., Whitehouse, Texas;
- Franklin Bys, Hy-Vee, Inc., Coralville, Iowa;
- James Campbell, Sunflower Farmers Market, Denver;
- Brian Collegnon, Rueben’s County Market , Hartford, Wis.;
- Ross Corbin Conrad, Colemans Food Centres, Corner Brook, Newfoundland;
- Brian Corbitt, Bel Air Market/Raley’s Family of Fine Stores, Sacramento, Calif.;
- Jolene Cyr, Food Maxx/Save Mart Supermarkets, Fairfield, Calif.;
- Ron Danielson, Raley’s Family of Fine Stores, Woodland, Calif.;
- Chad Faulk, Harris Teeter, Charlotte, N.C.;
- John Heon, Big Y Foods, Lee, Mass.;
- Rich Jackson, Quality Food Centers, Sammamish, Wash.;
- Steve Kaminski, Jewel-Osco, Westmont, Ill.;
- Charmagne Kendrick, VG’s Food Center/Spartan Stores, Fenton, Mich.;
- Jim Kesteloot, , Harris Teeter, Reston, Va.;
- Michael Kolek, Jewel-Osco, Schaumburg, Ill.;
- Brian Langdon, The Kroger Co., Cincinnati;
- Mike McElmeel, Hy-Vee, Inc., Silvis, Ill.;
- Elizabeth Myers, New River MCAS Commissary, Jacksonville, N.C.;
- Wanda Ivy Nicholas, Travis Air Force Base Commissary, Travis, Calif.;
- Nick Puleo, Vons, San Diego; and
- George Sanders, Price Chopper/Golub Corp., Barre, Vt.
Ready Pac Foods sponsors the awards program, now in its eighth year. It’s presented through the United Fresh Produce Association Foundation’s Center for Leadership Excellence.
“These produce managers have demonstrated the creative energy to make fresh fruits and vegetables shine in their stores,” Tom Stenzel, president of United Fresh, said in the release. “In so many cases, their interactions with consumers influence opinions and purchasing decisions, and have an undeniable impact on our industry.”
Some winners will participate in a panel discussion of retail strategies, trends and consumer purchasing habits to appear on a United Fresh website.