Northeastern produce leader Peter James Condakes dies - The Packer

Northeastern produce leader Peter James Condakes dies

03/16/2011 05:06:13 PM
Kirsten Hudson


Known to his family and industry members as a guy who loved to spread good cheer, Peter James Condakes died March 6. He was 41.

“It made him happy to see other people happy,” said Stephen Condakes, his cousin. “That’s Pete, in a nutshell.”

Peter Condakes grew up in the produce industry. He started working alongside his father at the family-owned business, Everett, Mass.-based Peter Condakes Co., when he was in high school.

“He used to work in the warehouse,” said Stephen Condakes, a buyer for the company. “He moved along to the sales floor and he learned the product line with his father.”

Peter Condakes was well-known and well-liked in the industry, said Stephen Condakes.

Condakes went to work at the company when he was in his early 20s after he graduated from Harvard University. Most recently Condakes was vice president of sales and handled fruit sales.

Condakes fought a battle with leukemia for almost a year after he was diagnosed with the disease in April.

“He was always positive throughout the whole illness,” said Stephen Condakes. “He was really an inspiration to anyone with a challenge.

“He really showed his mettle fighting this disease,” Stephen Condakes said. “We had a meeting with the board of the company the week before he passed away. He met with us via conference phone and he contributed. He was viable right until the end.”

Peter Condakes was an avid sports fan. His favorite team was the Boston Celtics. He loved basketball and played while at Harvard.

He was the son of Bessie Condakes and the late James P. Condakes. He is survived by his sister Suzanne Polymeros; her husband, James Polymeros; his cousin Stephen Condakes; his nieces, Eleni and Elissa Polymeros; his nephews, Jimmy and Nicholas Polymeros; and his girlfriend Valerie Lauria.

His funeral was March 9 at St. Demetrios Church in Weston, Mass.

“The wake was supposed to start at 4 p.m. It started at 3:15 p.m., and it finished around 10 p.m.,” said Stephen Condakes. “There was a steady line from 3:30 p.m. all the way to 9:30 p.m. It never stopped.”

Donations in his memory can be made to the St. Demetrios Church at 57 Brown Street, Weston, MA, 02493.

Comments (2) Leave a comment 

e-Mail (required)


characters left

Tammy Emanuel    
Vero Beach, Florida  |  March, 14, 2012 at 02:02 PM

Bessie... There are not enough words to express the heart ache of hearing about Peter. I often think of you guys in Boston and our happy times together! Sending you all my love and prayers to you and the family! Love Ya, Tammy

Scott Bender    
Santa Cruz, Ca  |  October, 22, 2013 at 07:28 PM

Very sad news, I was a good friend of Pete's at Field school in Weston. The crew of Pete, Pot ( James Potter), Rishot and Scott... We had some great times together. Was just checking to see what happened to the "crew". Very sorry for his friends and family's loss

Feedback Form
Leads to Insight