For related coverage see "Recalled Chamberlain cantaloupes did not have lot numbers."
(UPDATED COVERAGE, Aug. 23, 12:30 p.m.) An official recall notice for Chamberlain Farms cantaloupes linked to an ongoing multi-state salmonella outbreak that has killed two lists the locations of retailers and wholesalers who bought the fruit.
Owner Tim Chamberlain said the FDA is still working on compiling a list of names of retailers who received and sold the suspect cantaloupes. He did not say why he didn't issue an official recall Aug. 16 when he voluntarily began withdrawing his cantaloupes from the supply chain.
"We wanted to be pro-active and work with the government," Chamberlain said when reached at noon Aug. 23.
"We voluntarily withdrew our product and went out and picked it up and disposed of it."
Chamberlain said he had planted about 100 acres of cantaloupe for this season. He said he wasn't sure how many melons he had shipped or how many acres were left unharvested when he stopped distribution for the season. He said the farm was incorporated in 2004 and has grown cantaloupe every year since then.
Food and Drug Administration officials posted the Chamberlain recall notice on the agency's recall Web page Aug. 23, about 12 hours after issuing a press release naming Chamberlain Farms, Owensville, Ind., as the grower linked to the outbreak.
"Chamberlain Farm Produce Inc. marketed cantaloupes to four retail grocery stores with grocery store retail outlets in Vanderburgh, Warrick, Gibson, and Dubois County, Indiana, and Wabash County, Illinois; and also to four wholesale purchasers located in Owensboro, Ky., St. Louis, Peru, Ill., and Durant, Iowa, respectively," the recall notice states.
The notice also said the grower notified all of the purchasers of its cantaloupes to take immediate action to remove all Chamberlain cantaloupes from the marketplace, "and all of the purchasers confirmed compliance with that request."
Federal officials named Chamberlain Farms, Owensville, Ind., in a cantaloupe recall news release issued late Aug. 22, increasing the number of confirmed illnesses to 178.
“The investigation into this outbreak continues in order to determine whether there are other possible sources,” according to the news release, which was issued via e-mail at 10:40 p.m. Aug. 22.
Neither the news release nor the recall notice included the volume of melons being recalled.
No descriptions or photographs of product stickers, packaging or labels were provided.