Supermarkets and grocery retailers comprised five of the top 10 retailers in the National Retail Federation’s latest list of the Top 100 retailers.
The list ranked retailers by 2012 retail sales in the U.S., worldwide, sales growth, number of stores, and U.S. percentage of worldwide sales.
Bentonville, Ark.-based Wal-Mart Stores Inc. topped the list, followed by Cincinnati-based Kroger Co., Minneapolis-based Target and Issaquah, Wash.-based Costco Wholesale.
Pleasanton, Calif.-based Safeway ranked No. 9 on the list.
Other grocery retailers on the list included:
- Publix Super Markets Inc., Lakeland, Fla. (15);
- Supervalu Inc., Eden Prairie, Minn. (16);
- Ahold USA, Carlisle, Pa. (17);
- Delhaize America, Salisbury, N.C. (22);
- H.E. Butt Co., San Antonio (23);
- Meijer Inc., Grand Rapids, Mich. (27);
- Wakefern Food Corp., Keasbey, N.J. (28);
- BJ’s Wholesale Club, Westborough, Mass. (30);
- Whole Foods Market Inc., Austin, Texas (35);
- Aldi Inc., Batavia, Ill. (38);
- Bi-Lo Inc., Jacksonville, Fla. (45);
- Trader Joe’s, Monrovia, Calif. (53);
- Giant Eagle, O’Hara Township, Pa. (59);
- Wegmans Food Markets, Rochester, N.Y. (60);
- Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Co., Montvale, N.J. (65);
- Save Mart Supermarkets, Modesto, Calif. (74);
- WinCo Foods, Boise, Idaho. (76);
- Harris Teeter Supermarkets, Matthews, N.C. (81);
- Hy-Vee Inc., West Des Moines, Iowa (85);
- Roundy’s Supermarkets, Milwaukee (93);
- Stater Bros. Holdings, San Bernardino, Calif. (94);
- Albertsons LLC, Boise (96);
- Price Chopper Supermarkets, Schenectady, N.Y. (97);
- Ingles Markets, Black Mountain, N.C. (99).