The article said the focus is on inspiring ideas for serious cooks, fun atmosphere and community spirit. The list cited things like having Alec Baldwin star in a commercial because his mother is a fan of the store (Wegmans) and to “wacky, whimsical displays” (Jungle Jim’s).
“While others have rated supermarkets for profits, efficiency, customer service and ethics, we’re all about quality and selection,” it said.
The list features:
- Wegmans, Rochester, N.Y.;
- Rouses Enterprises LLC, Thibodaux, La.;
- Raley’s Family of Fine Stores, West Sacramento, Calif.;
- Jungle Jim’s International Market, Fairfield, Ohio;
- Bi-Rite Market, San Francisco;
- The Good Food Store, Missoula, Mont.;
- Central Market, an H.E. Butt Co., San Antonio, banner; and
- Andronico’s Community Markets, Berkeley, Calif.