The agency said expanded oversight authority allows it to provide industry technical expertise, setting and fostering compliance with food safety standards.
The FDA will use an expanded oversight toolkit that includes:
- commodity-specific guidance on prevention-oriented standards;
- education and outreach to ensure requirements are understood;
- technical assistance for compliance, especially by small and mid-size operators;
- regulatory incentives, such as less frequent or intense inspection for good performers;
- reliable third-party audits to verify compliance; and
- public education, transparency, and publicity to promote compliance and prevention.