Courtesy FPAAAlejandro Canelos (center), of Apache Produce Imports LLC, the chairman of the Fresh Produce Association of the Americas, with past chairman Jaime Chamberlain (left), of J-C Distributing Inc., and chairman-elect Matt Mandel of SunFed.Alejandro Canelos of Apache Produce Imports LLC is the new chairman for the Fresh Produce Association of the Americas.
Canelos and other association officers began their terms at the group’s annual membership meeting in Nogales, Ariz., on May 17.
Also at the meeting:
- Matt Mandel of SunFed became as chairman-elect.
- Terry Shannon, Jr. of Shannon Brokerage Co. received the 2011-12 FPAA Member of the Year award.
“The community can expect more and more involvement from FPAA in the political realm, and in trying to cut down red tape to get produce across the border,” FPAA President Lance Jungmeyer said in a news release. “Alejandro Canelos and Matt Mandel will build upon the efforts to influence federal and state regulators and lawmakers that took form under Jaime Chamberlain’s leadership.”
Canelos has previously served as chairman of FPPA’s tomato division, according to the release.
Eight distributor directors and two associate directors were elected to the FPAA board:
- Jose Luis Obregon of IPR Fresh;
- Christian Reyna of Divine Flavor LLC;
- Rod Sbragia of Tricar Sales
- Bobby Astengo of Prime Time International;
- Robert Bennen, Jr. of Ta-De Distributing;
- Martin Ley of Del Campo Supreme;
- Bert Monteverde of H.M. Distributors;
- Leonardo Tarriba of Farmer’s Best International;
- Sabrina Hallman of Sierra Seed Company LLLP; and
- Chuck Thomas of Thomas Produce.