The innovation award, presented in conjunction with the Feb. 5-7 Fruit Logistica trade show in Berlin, will voted on by the expected 58,000 visitors from 130 countries during the first two days of the show, according to a news release from the event’s organizers.
Messe Berlin and Fruchthandel Magazine announced the innovation award candidates Dec. 17. The candidates were selected by an expert panel comprised of professionals in production, quality management, wholesale, retail, packaging and services, according to the release.
“Presented for the ninth time in 2014, the Fruit Logistica Innovation Award honours outstanding new products and services that have had a positive impact on the international fresh produce trade,” Fruit Logistica Project Manager Christoph Göring said in the release.
- Aureli Mario, Italy: “Vegetable Crumbs” for breaded vegetables;
- Azienda Agricola Campobasso Marco, Italy: “Fette di Sole” – snacks made from dried orange slices;
- BrimaPack B.V., Netherlands: “Extended shelf life packaging for Broccoli”;
- Eisberg Group, Switzerland: “BBQ Grill Mix” – a new convenience product for barbecue enthusiasts;
- Home Harvest Salads Ltd, UK: “Oriental Mixed Living Salad” – freshly harvested at home;
- IFCO Systems GmbH, Germany: “Folding reusable plastic containers for bananas” – designed for the global banana trade, from the field to the supermarket shelf;
- Internationale Fruchtimport Gesellschaft Weichert, Germany: “Uurú, the original banana” – organically-grown bananas from Ecuador with intense, exotic flavour;
- Tokita Seed, Japan: “Fioretto” – long-stem cauliflower with small heads;
- Verpackungszentrum Graz, Austria: “Compostable packaging nets from beechwood cellulose” – sustainable production, eco-friendly composting;
- ZTI Mechatronics BV, Netherlands: “Grape destemming machine” – to separate the fruit from the vine;
The winner will be officially announced in an award ceremony at 2:30 p.m. Berlin time on Feb. 7, according to the release.