The Gilroy Garlic Festival, Gilroy, Calif., has awarded $325,000 to 175 participating non-profit organizations from the revenue from the 34th annual festival.
The festival contributed $50,000 to the Rudy Melone Memorial Scholarship Fund, $9,000 to the Gilroy Unified School District for lunch tables and $8,500 to the Kids Discover Arts program, according to a news release.
“The people most responsible for the record amount of this year’s awards are the volunteer leaders who diligently managed expenses and realized that every dollar saved is a dollar returned to their organizations,” Hugh Davis, Festival Association president, said in the release. “There is no better time of year to represent the Garlic Festival than after all the bills are paid and the Board of Directors decides how much we can grant back to our volunteer organizations.”
The top five beneficiaries in 2012 are:
- South Valley Community Church Youth Group, $14,688;
- Gilroy High School/ Christopher High School Alliance Choir, $12,224;
- Live Oak Emerald Regime, $11,298;
- Gilroy Gators Swim Team, $11,223; and
- Gilroy Hawks Wrestling, $9,539.