U.S. and Canadian produce retailers toured Chile in late January to learn more about the country’s fresh produce operations.
Managers from Wal-Mart, Safeway and other top retailers visited orchards, vineyards, packing facilities, fruit inspection sites and Chile’s main port of Valparaiso, according to a news release from the Sonoma, Calif.-based Chilean Fresh Fruit Association.
The tour was organized by the association and ProChile, Chile’s trade commission. Chilean blueberry industry members served as co-hosts.
Participants in the tour included:
- Melissa Heinrich, produce director, Wal-Mart;
- Randy Brittain, procurement director, the Military Produce Group;
- Dave Rhodes, produce operations director, Marsh Supermarkets;
- Alejandra Contreras, vendor development manager, Loblaw’s;
- Nick Penry, produce marketing and operations manager, Federates Co-operatives Limited; and
- Marcus Vincent, commodities buyer, Safeway.