(UPDATED COVERAGE March 20) Pear Bureau Northwest is offering its first Pinterest contest, a promotion of green anjou pears for spring.
The Milwaukie, Ore.-based trade group hopes to gain 500 new Pinterest followers during the eight-week contest March 15 to May 11, roughly doubling current numbers, said Cristie Mather, director of communications.
“The ultimate goal is to inspire shoppers to add pears to their spring shopping lists, and tip the scale toward planned rather than impulse purchase for what many incorrectly consider to be a fall-winter fruit,” Mather said.
USA Pears has more than 60,000 followers on Pear Bureau Northwest’s other social media channels, where the contest is also being promoted.
To enter, consumers must:
- follow USA Pears on Pinterest;
- create a Pinterest board and name it “Pear-fect Season for Green”;
- fill the board with at least 10 spring related and green-themed pins, of which at least three must be repins from USA Pears Pinterest boards;
- tag all pins with #springforpears and #usapears; and
- repin the contest title pin.
The top prize is a $250 Visa gift card and a box of green anjou pears, according to a news release. Ten runners-up will also receive pears via delivery.
May 11 is Mother’s Day. Pear Bureau Northwest plans to announce winners in mid-May.
Green anjous are in season September to July, and make up more than 50% of the Pacific Northwest pear crop.