(UPDATED COVERAGE Sept. 17) Ready Pac Foods has begun retail shipments of eight Disney-themed salads and mini-meals, part of its Cool Cuts line.
Irwindale, Calif.-based Ready Pac announced the expansion a week after another aimed at school foodservice offering five salads and four fruit and vegetable snacks. Those Cool Cuts had no Disney messaging.
The salads consist of iceberg and romaine lettuces; proteins like chicken, turkey, pepperoni or cheese; grains; and dressing. They include temporary tattoos matching the character on the label. The small meals come with a Disney sticker in the tray.
The Disney items began shipping the first week of September, according to a news release, and include:
- Pizzeria salad with romaine lettuce
- Taco salad with corn, black beans and shredded carrots
- Harvest salad with iceberg and romaine lettuces, apples, carrots and pretzels
- Caesar salad with romaine lettuce
- Veggies, chicken and pretzels with broccoli florets
- Turkey, crackers and cheese with carrots and grapes
- Pizza bites with dried tart cherries
- Apples, ham and yogurt with red and green apple slices
All items meet Walt Disney Co. nutritional guidelines.
“There’s a huge opportunity for retailers to generate incremental sales from selling nutritious items for kids,” Tristan Simpson, Ready Pac director of marketing, said in the release. “These new items fit the bill with parents looking for more nutritious and convenient options for their kids.”
Ready Pac is backing the Disney Cool Cuts launch with retail point-of-sale materials and instantly redeemable coupons. A social media campaign is planned, including a program that will donate up to 250,000 meals through Feeding America.
There are in-pack codes for music downloads for the target consumer, children from elementary through middle school.