The 2013 Mango Performance Benchmark Report also found that mango volumes in stores rose almost 15% last year, according to a news release from the Orlando-based National Mango Board, a coauthor.
The board partnered with Nielsen Perishables Group on the report, which measured per-store per-week performance vs. 2012.
Other findings of the report include:
- Mangoes made up 39% of all tropical fruit sales last year, the most of any fruit;
- The average retail price per mango fell 1.7% in 2013, to $1.01 per piece;
- Organic mangoes made up 2% of all mango sales;
- The price of organic mangoes fell 2.4% to $2 per piece;
- Fresh-cut mango sales increased 62% in 2013 and made up 18% of all mango sales.