Initially issued Oct. 13 by Giant Eagle Inc. for 8-ounce bags of shredded iceberg lettuce, the recall was broadened by River Ranch to include 2,154 cases of various bagged salads sent to Hy-Vee grocery stores. The products were packed on Sept. 27 and have “Best By” dates of Oct. 14.
A routine random test by the Ohio Department of Agriculture showed a positive result for listeria, according to a news release from River Ranch, Salinas, Calif. The Giant Eagle recall of Farmers Market brand lettuce was initiated because of a positive test from a routine random sample taken the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Recalled lettuce products include:
- Farmers Market 8-ounce Shredded Iceberg 30034-30195 BEST BY 14OCT2011 A106A and A106B
- Farmers Market 7-ounce Parisian Blend 30034-30259 BEST BY 14OCT2011 A106A and A106B
- Farmers Market 9-ounce Leafy Romaine 30034-30364 BEST BY 14OCT2011 A106A and A106B
- Farmers Market 12-ounce Romaine Garden 30034-30220 BEST BY 14OCT2011 A106A and A106B
- Hy-Vee 8-ounce Shredded Iceberg 75450-12053 BEST BY 14OCT2011 A106A and A106B
- Hy-Vee 12-ounce American Blend 75450-12047 BEST BY 14OCT2011 A106A and A106B
- Hy-Vee 12-ounce Garden Supreme 75450-12046 BEST BY 14OCT2011 A106A and A106B
- Hy-Vee 12-ounce Romaine Garden 75450-12058 BEST BY 14OCT2011 A106A and A106B
The salad products were distributed in Iowa, Ohio, and Pennsylvania and sold in retail supermarkets. There have not been any reported illnesses linked to the recalled lettuce.
Details of the Giant Eagle recall are included in the FDA's notice. The Giant Eagle recall also included deli sandwich trays.
The recalled lettuce was pulled from store shelves, according to the Giant Eagle website. Using data collected via loyalty cards, Giant Eagle called consumers who bought the lettuce and advised them of the recall, chain spokesman Brock Schmaltz told the Columbus Dispatch newspaper. The chain also put a register block on the lettuce so none would be accidentally sold.
Deli sandwich trays included in the recall are:
- Giant Eagle Large Italian Sandwich Ring (UPC 23755100000);
- Giant Eagle Mini Italian Sandwich Ring (UPC 24755500000);
- Giant Eagle Large New York Sandwich Ring (UPC 22755100000);
- Giant Eagle Mini New York Sandwich Ring (UPC 25755500000);
- Giant Eagle Large All America Sandwich Ring (UPC 21755100000); and
- Giant Eagle Mini All American Sandwich Ring (UPC 26755500000).
Giant Eagle Inc. operates stores under the names Giant Eagle, Market District, Giant Eagle Express and GetGo. According to the chain’s website it has annual sales of approximately $8.2 billion. Giant Eagle Inc. has stores in Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Ohio and Maryland.