The annual Bodine-Sunkist scholarship, established in 1985 as a memorial to Sunkist board vice chairman Arthur Bodine, recognizes the academic accomplishments of students from agricultural backgrounds.
Five of the 16 are new recipients for the 2013-2014 year, according to a news release:
- Raquel Campuzano Santamaria, Orosi, Calif.;
- Denise Cornejo, Watsonville, Calif.;
- Leticia Garcia Reyes, Woodlake, Calif.;
- Miriam Juarez-Vargas, Salinas, Calif.; and
- Rodrigo Tellez, Tracy, Calif.
Scholarships have been renewed for 11 previous recipients:
- Nickzel Lezama, Yuma, Ariz.;
- Joel Alcaraz, Los Angeles;
- Scarlett Ceja, Tulare, Calif.;
- Steve Escarcega, Hanford, Calif.;
- Claudia Garcia, Soledad, Calif.;
- Cristina Gomez, Arvin, Calif.;
- Kyle Pelot, Salinas, Calif.;
- Rose Pier, Earlimart, Calif.;
- Ana Sandoval, Goleta, Calif.;
- Octavio Viramontes, Earlimart; and
- Omar Viramontes, Earlimart.
“These students show tremendous promise, and we’re honored to support them in fulfilling their academic goals,” Sunkist president and chief executive officer Russell Hanlin said in the release.