(UPDATED COVERAGE 5:37 p.m.) A record 40 finalists are in the running for the United Fresh Produce Association’s 2014 New Product Awards.
The finalists in five categories will be displayed at the association’s show in June 10-13 in Chicago. Show attendees will have the opportunity to vote on the products, with winners set to be announced at the United Fresh Membership booth on June 12, according to a news release.
Product innovation is an essential element for the success of the fresh and fresh-cut produce industries, United Fresh president Tom Stenzel said in the release.
“Our member companies bring foresight about market trends and emerging technologies, and then apply creative ideas to capitalize on those trends, which contributes to the growth and profitability of our entire industry,” Stenzel said in the release.
Categories are fruit products, vegetable products, packaging, processing/packaging equipment and food safety products.
The 2014 New Product Award finalists companies and their nominated products in the fruit and vegetable categories are:
Best new fruit product
- Crunch Pak — Marvel Apple Snacker with superheroes on packs of fresh sliced apples and other ingredients including grapes, cheese and pretzels.
- Fresh Fruit Cuts — Woot Froot brand fresh-cut peaches and nectarines.
- Naturipe Farms —Fresh Cranberry Sauce Kit: microwavable kit.
- Sbrocco International Inc. — USDA Quality Monitored GOOD 4 U FRESH FRUIT: Fresh Table Grapes & Apples in high-graphic pouch bags with USDA Quality Monitored Seal.
Best new vegetable product
- Black Gold Farms — Roasties: clamshell with fresh, whole baby red potatoes and McCormick Produce Partners seasonings.
- Fresherized Foods — Wholly Guacamole Layered Bean Dips: 10 oz. dips can be served chilled or warmed.
- Good Foods Group — Tableside Chunky Guacamole 4pk: single-serve portions with garlic, onions and tomatoes.
- Love Beets — Organic Beets in an Organic Mild Vinegar.
- Mastronardi Produce/Sunset — Y.E.L.O. (Youth, Energy, Life, Om) tomatoes.
- Mucci Farms — CuteCumbers: bite-sized cucumbers with no cutting or chopping required.
- Pure Hothouse Foods Inc. — The Snacking Series: Juno Bites, Bumbles, Sangira, and Azuca bite-sized tomatoes in grab-and-go packs with recipes.
- Reichel Foods — Dippin’ Stix Flavor Celery Stix & Ranch Dip: fresh-cut celery and ranch dip.
- Tiffany Gate Foods — FreshCooked: cooked and ready-to-use with salads, soups or as sides. Includes quinoa, beets, yams and chickpeas.
- Village Farms — Rebellion tomato: packs with four to six different tomato varieties with distinct shapes and colors (red, orage, yellow, green and brown).
- Wholesum Family Farms — Wholesum Harvest Grilling Squash: yellow and zucchini squash in self-sealing bags.
- Apio Inc. — Eat Smart Kale & Red Chard Stir Fry Kit: includes broccoli florets, red chard, kale, snow peas, carrots and stir fry sauce.