For more details on the upcoming show, see our pre-show coverage.
A record 40 finalists are in the running for the United Fresh Produce Association’s 2014 New Product Awards.
The finalists in five categories will be displayed at the association’s show in June 10-13 in Chicago. Show attendees will have the opportunity to vote on the products, with winners set to be announced at the united Fresh Membership booth on June 12, according to a news release.
Categories are fruit products, vegetable products, packaging, processing/packaging equipment and food safety products. The 2014 New Product Award finalists companies and their nominated products are listed below.
Best New Fruit Product
- Crunch Pak — Marvel Apple Snacker with super heroes on packages of fresh sliced apples and other snacking ingredients including grapes, cheese and pretzels;
- Fresh Fruit Cuts — Woot Froot fresh-cut peaches and nectarines available in 3-ounce and 14-ounce bags and various tray sizes.
- Naturipe Farms — Fresh Cranberry Sauce Kit, a microwavable product; and
- Sbrocco International Inc. — USDA Quality Monitored Good 4 U Fresh Fruit includes fresh table grapes and apples in high-graphic pouches with the official USDA Quality Monitored seal.
Best New Vegetable Product
- Black Gold Farms — Roasties, a clamshell with fresh, whole baby red potatoes, McCormick Produce Partners seasonings and cooking instructions;
- Fresherized Foods — Wholly Guacamole Layered Bean Dips: 10-ounce dips can be served either chilled or warmed;
- Good Foods Group — Tableside Chunky Guacamole four-pack, with single-serve portions of hand-scooped avocados, with garlic, onions and tomatoes;
- Love Beets — Organic Beets in an Organic Mild Vinegar, which are freshly cooked and certified organic;
- Mastronardi Produce — Sunset Y.E.L.O. (Youth, Energy, Life, Om) tomatoes;
- Mucci Farms — CuteCumbers, bite-sized cucumbers with no cutting or chopping required;
- Pure Hothouse Foods Inc. — The Snacking Series: Juno Bites, Bumbles, Sangira and Azuca all have bite-sized tomatoes in grab-and-go packaging with recipe ideas;
- Reichel Foods — New Dippin’ Stix Flavor Celery Stix & Ranch Dip, with fresh-cut celery sticks and ranch dip, packaged for snacking on the go;
- Tiffany Gate Foods — FreshCooked, cooked and ready to use on salads, in soups or as sides, it includes quinoa, beets, yams and chickpeas;
- Village Farms — Rebellion tomatoes, packs with four to six tomato varieties with distinct shapes and colors, from red, orange, yellow, green and brown;
- Wholesum Family Farms — Wholesum Harvest Grilling Squash, yellow and zucchini squash combo in self sealing bags with recipes and quick-response codes; and
- Apio Inc. — Eat Smart Kale & Red Chard Stir-Fry Kit, which includes broccoli florets, red chard, kale, snow peas, carrots and a stir-fry sauce infused with soy, garlic and ginger.
Best New Packaging
- Braga Fresh Family Farms — Josie’s Organics Romaine Hearts: three-pack of organic romaine hearts.
- Del Monte Fresh Produce — Del Monte Fresh Guac, which comes in an assortment of preservative-free flavors in 8-ounce single and two-pack and a 2-ounce four-pack;
- Fresherized Foods — Wholly Guacamole 100 Cal Minis, 2-ounce cups that can be frozen for up to three months;
- John B Sanfilippo — Orchard Valley Harvest Wellness Mixes, with three 4-ounce varieties, Antioxidant Mix, Omega-3 Mix and Energy Mix;
- Mastronardi Produce — Sunset Eco Flavor Bowl, top-seal film locks in flavor of tomatoes while reducing your carbon footprint;
- Naturipe Farms — Bouquet Pack, long-stemmed strawberries packed in bicolored, co-extruded clamshell;
- Polymer Logistics — Wood-look Returnable Plastic Crate, foldable, simulated wood crate offers the advantages of RPCs, including “active-lock” mechanism;
- Ready Pac Foods — Ready Snax Refresh, new packaging and design of the snacking line;
- Redsun Farms — Hacienda Special Reserve Tomatoes with Display Ready Box, a case of tomatoes that includes varieties such as brandy yellow, cherokee green and purple, green zebra and aurea big tiger;
- Reichel Foods — Dippin’ Stix Sweet Gala Apples & Caramel: in a five-pack carton with a versatile design that can be merchandised two different ways;
- Village Farms — Lip Smackn’ Grapes Rinse & Serve Reusable Bowl, which has a bowl bottom with no holes that makes it functional for reusing and repurposing;
- Westmoreland Sales — TopLine Creations, produce packaged with flavor-infused olive oil packets that can be a snack or a salad on the go;
- Yerecic Label — LabelBling, featuring holographic films, sparkle inks, embossing or a combination of these effects on produce packaging; and
- North Bay Produce Inc. — Ready To Eat Single Serve Blueberries, portable packs that hold up to the demands of on-the-go eating.
Best New Packing/Processing Equipment
- Bosch Packaging Technology Inc. — SVC 4020 Vertical Form-Fill-Seal Bagger, a new vertical packaging platform for the fresh food industry.
- FTNON BV — Super Batch Centrifuge, which can handle all kind of products with different capacitie and has a small footprint and is energy efficient;
- Turatti S.R.L. — Strawberry Capper Mod. Frazer, which removes the strawberry calyx and cuts each fruit in half, if required. This system can be used also to top radishes; and
- West Coast Supplies — Forklift Inflator, which can be installed on any forklift and is powered by the forklift battery. It fills air bags anywhere inside the trailer or container with the flip of a switch.
Best New Food Safety Solution
- ALC Logistics of the Allen Lund Co. — Produce TMS Solution,Web-based software designed and customized to fit the needs of the produce industry;
- Arizona Leafy Greens Food Safety Committee — Food Safety Training Kit Videos, which is now available in a DVD series in English and Spanish;
- DeltaTrak Inc. — FlashTrak Telematics, a complete cloud-based solution for cold chain management and temperature monitoring for mobile and facilities applications.
- Food Defend — Fruit Gard, a two-part drying product reduces spoilage and food safety organisms on produce for post-harvest intervention without toxic residue;
- FoodLink — FoodLink Fresh: web-based, food safety and quality inspection solution that provides analysis for data collected across the supply chain from harvest to retail; and
- Locus Traxx Worldwide — SmartTraxx Go, a disposable temperature recorder that provides streaming, real-time data instantly on temperature and location.