Grants from the Walmart Foundation will fund $2.64 million worth of research into local and regional strawberry production.
The grants are part of a $3 million donation from the Walmart Foundation to the University of Arkansas’ System Division of Agriculture’s Center for Agricultural and Rural Sustainability, according to a university news release.
Grant recipients include:
- North Carolina State University, soil management practices;
- University of Arizona, off-season production of hydroponic strawberries in the Southwest;
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln, winter production of Nebraska strawberries;
- Tennessee State University, developing logistics for pathogen-free organic strawberries in Tennessee;
- Kansas State University, plasticulture strawberry production in the Great Plains;
- University of Florida, reducing post-harvest strawberry losses through distribution management;
- University of California-Davis, strawberry production without soil fumigation; and
- University of Arkansas System Division of Agriculture Cooperative Extension Service, revitalizing strawberry production in the Arkansas region through an extended season.