Lutz predicted Tesco’s Fresh & Easy into the U.S. could lead to a shakeup in the formats offered in the convenience/gas channel.
Key findings offered in the produce department report by The Perishables Group:
- 2007 produce department sales were up 3.7%;
- In 2007, the produce department contributed 33.2 % to total perishable sales. That is a 0.1% increase in share compared with last year;
- Vegetables accounted for 48% of produce department sales and fruits accounted for 44%, the study found. However, fruit sales grew at a faster rate those vegetables;
- Led by berries and apples, organic fruit sales grew at more than double the pace of organic vegetable sales;
- Fresh-cut produce sales have fallen off double digit growth rates, but still experienced moderately stronger overall growth than whole produce;
- Empty nest and senior couples buy the most produce, followed by families with older kids; and
- Interest in exotic fruits is spilling over to the fresh-cut sector, with fresh cut mango and papaya sales up sharply in 2007.