“This combination of climate changes is projected to continue and intensify, possibly requiring a northward shift in crop production, displacing existing growers and affecting farming communities,” according to the report.
Challenges to agriculture include:
- Production declines because of increases in weeds, diseases and insects;
- Erosion and degradation of soil;
- Fruit trees that require chill hours to set a good crop will see production declines. requiring new varieties;
- Weather extremes will negatively affect crop and livestock productivity; and
- Increased innovation will be needed to keep pace with climate change over the next 25 years.