The winners are in for the National Watermelon Promotion Board’s carving contest.
Celebrating July’s national watermelon month, the Orlando, Fla.-based promotion organization hosted it fourth-annual carving contest via its What About Watermelon? website, http://www.whataboutwatermelon.com.
Many of this year’s contestants entered in more than one category and demonstrated a creative touch and an imaginative eye, according to the release.
This year’s winners:
- Best Animal and Best Fruit Basket: Laura P. from Vancouver, Wash., with her Cheshire cat and vase with heart cutouts;
- Most Elegant: John M. from Lapeer, Mich., with his 15-piece sculpture;
- Funniest Carving and Best Watermelophant: Ryan A. from Spokane, Wash., with his “Despicable Me” minion and two watermelophants.
- Fan Favorite was won by Donna L. of Merced, Calif., for her watermelon turtle.
The fan favorite won a $500 cash grand prize and each category awards a first-, second- and third-place cash winner.
View photos of contest entries at http://tinyurl.com/k3shory.
- Watermelon promotion board advises Australians
- Centennial celebration proves a watermelon win-win
- Photo: John Corsaro wins the first NWA watermelon eating contest
- Watermelon board to take milestone celebration to next level
- Giumarra adds watermelon from southern Mexico
- Florida woman named National Watermelon Queen