MONTREAL — George Pitsikoulis pledged to build on the success of his predecessor as he was named 2010-11 president of the Quebec Produce Marketing Association.
Pitsikoulis, who has served as president of Canadawide Fruit Wholesalers Inc. since 2003, accepted the QPMA leadership role from outgoing president Stephan Dolbec, president of St. Ubalde-based Patates Dolbec Inc., Aug. 21, during the closing night banquet at QPMA’s annual convention.
The event ran Aug. 19-21 at the Fairmont Queen Elizabeth Hotel and drew around 650 attendees to the closing night banquet, said Anne-Emilie Thibault, director of communications.
Pitsikoulis’ tenure kicks off with the association in good shape financially, said director general Sophie Perreault.
$50,000 from a fund-raising lottery for the I love 5 to 10 Servings a Day promotion along with an additional $150,000 in funds is currently available for consumer outreach and education, she said, adding that the effort would likely concentrate on television spots for the I Love 5 to 10 Servings a Day promotion.
Coming from the grower segment of the industry, Dolbec said he was pleased his tenure saw QPMA strengthen its relationships with growers. He also cited outreach to foodservice partners through restaurants, hotels and schools as a key accomplishment of his presidency.
Pitsikoulis said he intends to maintain a focus on foodservice and the I Love 5 to 10 Servings a Day program during his term.
QPMA's executive committee for 2010-11 are:
- Pitsikoulis, president;
- Dolbec, past president;
- Perreault, director general;
- Pat Calabretta, senior director of merchandising and purchasing for Sobeys Quebec, second vice president; and
- Robert Beauregard of Agri-Mondo Inc., first vice president.
- Josee Houle, director of marketing for fruits and vegetables, Metro Richelieu;
- Anthony Fantin, executive vice president of Veg Pro International;
- Nick Meti of Emballages Marcan Inc.;
- Marc-Andre Chenail, president of Ste-Clotilde-based Fermes du Soleil; and
- Pierre Cayer of Pom Wonderful/Paramount Farms.
Robert Sawyer, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Metro Inc., is QPMA's Pillar of the Industry award winner for 2010.
QPMA honored Robert Sawyer, executive vice president and chief operating officer of Metro Inc., with its Pillar of the Industry award during the Aug. 21 dinner.