The products have suggested retail prices of $3.99 (kits) and $2.99 to $3.29 (blends). All carry the All Natural Dole tagline.
The kits are:
- Chipotle & Cheddar Chopped Salad Kit — cheddar cheese, cheddar tortilla strips, green and red cabbage, romaine, kale, carrots, green onions and chipotle ranch dressing;
- Bacon & Bleu Chopped Salad Kit — applewood smoked bacon, green and red cabbage, romaine, kale, carrots, green onions, Dole’s blue cheese dressing; and
- BBQ Ranch Chopped Salad Kit — fried onions, cheddar tortilla chips, green and red cabbage, romaine, kale, carrots, green onions and a barbecue ranch dressing.
The blends are:
- Asian Chopped Salad Blend — green and red cabbage, kale, broccoli slaw, snap peas and sweet carrots. It can also be used for stir frying.
- Summer Garden Chopped Salad Blend — green and red cabbage with romaine, radishes, green onions and carrots.
Marketing efforts include advertising; digital, website, in-store and on-pack coupons; and point-of-sale programs. Dole plans to seek trial by food bloggers as well.
The offering was driven by research on restaurant trends, Chris Mayhew, vice president of marketing for Monterey, Calif.-based Dole Fresh Vegetables, said in a news release.
“(Consumers) say they expect their chopped salads to be a taste-first experience; be more filling than regular salad kits and blends, offer unique ingredients and bite-sized pieces, and be ‘green enough’ to be considered guiltless,” Mayhew said in the release.
Chopped salads are the fastest-growing salad trend in casual dining according to Dole.
“While kale continues to surge in popularity, we included it in our new chopped salads for reasons that go beyond current trends,” Markus Eriksson, senior brand manager of product development, said in the release. “Kale was used as a flavor enhancer, to optimize the taste profile and to add specific color and health benefits.”
The addition of the five new stock-keeping units brings the number of Dole salad products to 49.