The agency has published the 2013 Voluntary National Retail Food Regulatory Program Standards, (Retail Program Standards). The document is available online, according to a Jan. 16 news release from the FDA.
The program promotes:
- Adoption of science-based model regulations;
- Improvements in staff training and increased program resources;
- Implementation of risk-based inspection programs based on Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point principles;
- Development and implementation of outbreak and food defense surveillance and response plans; and
- Enhanced communication and collaboration with industry and consumers.
Members of the FDA National Retail Food Team, including officials from the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition and Retail Food Specialists in FDA offices around the country, are available to answer questions about the Retail Program Standards. Questions can be sent to email@example.com