Pamela RiemenschneiderThe National Mango Board honored its second annual Mango Retailer of the Year at a reception held Oct. 19 in New Orleans. This year�s honoree, Mike Schutt was represented by Greg Corrigan, left, of Raley�s Family of Fine Stores. The board also recognized Mango Model Retailers Dick McKellogg, center, of Lowes Foods, Keith Durham of Brookshire Grocery Co., right, and Tom Enyon of Giant Eagle, not pictured. NEW ORLEANS — This year’s Mango Retailer of the Year did it not only by building impressive programs to move mangoes in-store, he started from the moment mangoes hit the docks.
“This retailer made it his business to drive mango sales through the roof, and he succeeded,” said William Watson, executive director for the Orlando-based National Mango Board, of Mike Schutt, the 2013 Mango Retailer of the Year.
Schutt, produce category manager for West Sacramento, Calif.-based Raley’s Family of Fine Stores, posted an 11% volume growth in the mango category over the previous year through innovative merchandising, promotions, ad campaigns and educating produce personnel by sending quality control staff to the University of California-Davis’ postharvest technology courses to learn more about proper handling of mangoes in the distribution system, Watson said.
“He was well ahead of his region and nation when the entire country was struggling in the aftermath of the recall last year,” Watson said.
This was the second year the mango board honored a retailer of the year. The program recognizes a retailer from four regions in the country based on six areas of focus:
- Posting sales and volume increases;
- Follow-through on commitments to mango board programs and providing results at the close of funded promotions;
- Educating consumers about mangos
- Facilitating mango training and inspiring associates to handle, merchandise and promote mangos more effectively;
- Being aware of market forces, and working with the industry through difficult supply periods to promote mangos year-round;
- Engaging in effective, high-quality, creative promotions.
The board also recognized the other regional Mango Model Retailers at the event:
- Keith Durham, Brookshire Grocery Co., Tyler, Texas;
- Tom Enyon, Giant Eagle, Pittsburg, Pa.;
- Dick McKellogg, Lowes Foods, Wilksboro, N.C.