The New York Apple Association’s annual display contest for U.S. military commissaries had the second largest turn-out in its 11-year history.
The association partnered up with Columbus, Ohio-based T. Marzetti Co. for the contest, which had 66 participants Jan. 28 through the end of February. Displays in commissary produce departments had to use New York apples and Marzetti Caramel Apple Dip and Apple Crisp.
Winners were chosen based by a panel of nine apple, advertising and retail industry members, and were judged on nine factors. Two were chosen for each of three size categories, but all six are considered grand prize winners.
- Vicky Parsons, produce manager, Gunter Air Force Base, Alabama;
- Jeannette Winkley, general manager/produce, Dyess Air Force Base, Texas;
- Patricia Vass, general manager, Portsmouth Norfolk Naval Ship Yard, Virginia;
- Mark Hare, general manager, Ft. Drum, New York;
- Angela Harmon, store manager, Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico, and;
- Jesse Arreola, produce manager, Ft. Bliss, Texas.
The honorees’ prizes are trips to Produce Marketing Association’s Fresh Summit in Orlando, Fla., Oct. 15-18.