Courtesy Idaho Potato Commission
This display at Lammers Food Fest, Menomonie, Wis., won first-place for produce department manager Dean Eide in the Idaho Potato Commission's retail display contest.
A record number of retailers spruced up their aisles with creative potato displays for this year’s Potato Lover’s Month Retail Display Contest by the Idaho Potato Commission.
The contest, which celebrated its 20th anniversary this year, had 2,515 display entries, according to a news release. The stores competed for $150,000 in cash and prizes.
The commission started the contest to increase Idaho potato sales during a month when produce sales are typically at a lull. The contest was Jan. 31 through Feb. 25.
“Produce managers across the country understand better than ever the impact a strong, creative retail promotion can have on their entire department. They know from first-hand experience that attention-grabbing displays drive sales,” Seth Pemsler, vice president of retail and international sales, said in the release. “Even after 20 years not only are we generating more interest than ever before, the displays are bigger, bolder and even more creative.”
The winners for 10 or more cash registers, are:
- Fred Sweany, Buehler’s Fresh Foods, Wooster, Ohio, first;
- Leo DeLeon, Publix Foods, Fort Pierce, Fla., second, and;
- Sharon Brennan, Viking Village Foods, Reedsburg, Wis., third.
Winners with 6-9 registers, are:
- Dean Eide, Lammer’s Food Fest, Menomonie, Wis., first;
- Steve Thomas, Fresh Market, Spanish Fork, Utah, second; and
- Scott Jones, IGA #63, Livermore, Ky., third.
Winners with 1-5 registers, are:
- Robert Childers, Piggly Wiggly #124, Clover, S.C., first;
- Larry J. Schell, Reynolds Market, Baker Mont., second, and;
- Bryan Bennington, Sirna’s Market & Deli, Aurora, Ohio, third.