WASHINGTON COAST DISTRICT — Shipments (0*-0*-0*) — Movement expected to decrease slightly. Trading moderate. Price generally unchanged. 15-pound cartons greenhouse Washington extra fancy mostly $38-40. Price includes palletizing and cooling, consolidation charges extra. Most sheds are winding down on greenhouse rhubarb. A few field-grown have been harvested in Oregon although supplies are insufficient to establish a market. A little more was expected the week of March 24; a few field grown were also expected from Washington later the week of March 24 with more the week of March 31. With good weather the volume of field-grown from both areas is expected to pick up by the week of April 7. Quality generally good. (*totals shipments less than 50,000-pounds).
Rhubarb — F.o.b.s as of March 24
- New melon varieties boast sweetness, firm flesh
- Paramount Citrus replaces Cuties brand with Wonderful Halos
- Sun Pacific buys Cuties brand, breaks ties with Paramount Citrus
- Organically Grown joins fair trade group
- Iceberg dips; no relief on $30 romaine
- UPDATED: Florida citrus leader Richard Kinney remembered