(May 28, 9:28 a.m.) In a move aimed at bolstering its leadership role in nutritional research on raisins, the California Raisin Marketing Board, Fresno, has created the Scientific Nutrition Research Panel.
The seven-member panel, the members of which all hold doctorate degrees, will determine areas of research and evaluate applications to requests for proposals, said Erika Paggett, marketing specialist for the board.
Julie Miller Jones, who has been the board’s scientific adviser for nearly a decade, is a member of the panel, Paggett said.
“Dr. Jones recommended six potential panel members, and all six accepted,” Paggett said.
The other members are:
- James Anderson, retired from the University of Kentucky;
- Elizabeth Applegate of the University of California-Davis;
- Guy Johnson of Johnson Nutrition Solutions LLC;
- Michael McBurney of Texas A&M University;
- Mark Meskin of California State Polytechnic University-Pomona; and
- Rui Hai Lui of Cornell University.
“We really have a very good foundation as far as our research goes,” Paggett said. “The panel will determine what requests for proposals are to be sent out and which areas need more research”
The board provides up to $200,000 annually for research, Paggett said.