The Washington, D.C.-based Chilean Avocado Importers Association has planned a season packed with promotions, said Maggie Bezart, marketing director.
The association’s consumer advertising game plan is designed to stimulate consumption of Chilean hass avocados during the fall and winter season while increasing trade loyalty to the fruit “through strategically sound advertising and an aggressive media plan,” Bezart said.
“Our consumer strategy is to utilize football-themed entertaining opportunities to deliver key messaging,” she said, because research shows that 59% of fall and winter avocado purchases are for football parties.
Chilean Avocado Importers Association is partnering with the Irvine, Calif.-based Hass Avocado Board’s Kick Off with Hass Avocados TV campaign throughout college football season.
The association also is planning national spot radio with two new commercials promoting the quality and versatility of Chilean avocados, billboard placements, online banner advertising and a digital advertising campaign that includes the websites epicurious.com, shape.com, allrecipes.com and eatingwell.com.
“This year CAIA is making a solid commitment in the social media space to increase brand awareness, sales and build online buzz,” Bezart said.
The social media campaign includes:
- Facebook advertising, including an Avocado Lovers Club contest where consumers enter online through the association’s website — chileanavocados.org — or by scanning a quick-response code with their smartphones;
- Tailgater and Holiday of the Week contests;
- Retail display photo album showcasing the best displays;
- Interaction with fans on game day, include at times during the game; and
- Following valuable influencers on Twitter to gain retail and consumer insight.
The association has formed a partnership with Tostitos tortilla chips through which the two organizations will co-market in both the produce and grocery aisles, she said.