ATLANTA — Five companies earned the Produce Marketing Association's Impact Award: Excellence in Packaging during Fresh Summit 2011.
Mike O’Brien, vice president of produce and floral for St. Louis-based Schnuck Markets Inc. announced the winners at the Oct. 15 general session.
The award program, in its fifth year, aims to promote excellence in produce or floral packaging, and this year 28 finalists were selected from 53 entries reviewed by a panel of judges from across the industry, according to a news release.
Packaging was judged on marketing, food safety, supply chain efficiency/functionality, sustainability and consumer convenience.
The 2011 Impact Award winners were:
- Apio and Clear Lam Packaging: New Peel/Reseal Apio Squash Package;
- Hollandia Produce: Live Gourmet Living Lettuce Squircle Clamshell and Shipping Container;
- Monterey Mushrooms: Sustainable Mushroom Packaging;
- Naturipe Farms: Berry Quick Snacks; and
- Ocean Mist Farms, Season & Steam Microwavable Artichoke Pack.
“PMA founded its Impact Award program in recognition of the important role packaging plays in connecting with consumers, enhancing food safety, sustaining the environment, and improving supply chain efficiencies,” Bryan Silbermann, PMA president, said in the release. "We’re pleased to highlight those who have demonstrated such innovative thinking.”