Check out the debate over the Ryan budget in the House of Representatives. Take note of "Bob" and federal food assistance programs, where the debate mentioned a couple of sacred cows:
Mr. RYAN of Wisconsin. Madam Chair, I yield 2 minutes to the distinguished gentleman from Georgia (Mr. Kingston).
Mr. KINGSTON. America is on the economic road to Greece. Our national debt is 100 percent of our gross domestic product. And I want you to think about that 1 minute. Did you ever think you would hear that on the floor of Congress, that our national debt is 100 percent of our
gross domestic product?
You know there are 44 different Federal job training programs? If one of them works, why would you need the other 43? The GAO says there are 19 duplications of effort and procurement at the Pentagon. Let's get rid of them. Over at the USDA--I happen to know, I'm on this committee--the Federal feeding programs are unbelievable. If you're Bob, and you're 3 years old, Bob is eligible for 12 Federal feeding programs. At 10 years old Bob is eligible for nine. At 35 years old Bob is eligible for seven.
Mr. KINGSTON. At 65, Bob is eligible for six Federal feeding programs. That doesn't mention what's going on on a State or local level. These are duplications that Democrats and Republicans alike should agree with, let's eliminate. This is the low fruit. That's what the Ryan budget does, commonsense reform, elimination of waste and getting rid of the duplications, and putting America on a road to prosperity, so that my children, Ann, Betsy, John and Jim, can live in an economy that's growing where there's opportunities for them. And I urge my colleagues to support the Ryan budget.
Bob's Food Assistance Programs
At age 3, Bob is eligible for 12 programs:
1. Child and Adult Care Food Program (CACFP)
2. Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP)
3. Fresh Fruit & Vegetable Program (FFVP)
4. School Lunch Program (SBP)
5. National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
6. Special Milk Program (SMP) [Can receive if not on any
7. Summer Food Service Program (SFSP)
8. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
9. Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
10. The Emergency Food Assistance Program (TEFAP)
11. Women, Infants & Children (WIC)
12. WIC's Farmers Market Nutritional Program (FMNP)