Doug Ohlemeier, who has written for The Packer since 2001, serves as eastern editor, a position he has held since August 2006. He started at The Packer as a staff writer after working for nearly a decade in commodity promotion at the Kansas Wheat Commission, where he was a marketing specialist.
Doug worked in radio and television news writing, producing and reporting for seven years, which included being a television field reporter in Texas, Missouri and Nebraska.
He graduated from Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, in 1984, with a bachelor of science degree in broadcast journalism and a minor in history. He earned a master’s in corporate communications from the University of Kansas, Lawrence, in 1991. In college, he served as a news editor of the daily O’Collegian newspaper and interned in radio and television news departments.
Doug writes columns and news articles for The Packer. He has covered many industry and commodity group meetings, such as the Southeast Produce Council, apples, citrus, potatoes, tomatoes and organics.
Doug, who tweets at www.twitter.com/doug_ohle, moved to Florida in 2005 and provided first-hand coverage of Hurricane Wilma, which devastated the state’s produce production that fall. He can be reached by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 813-579-2880.
- Paramount Citrus replaces Cuties brand with Wonderful Halos
- UPDATED: FDA to establish new food safety program
- Sun Pacific buys Cuties brand, breaks ties with Paramount Citrus
- Nogales veteran Alberto Maldonado dies
- Improvonia banks on organics to boost use of foodservice app
- UPDATED: Florida citrus leader Richard Kinney remembered