California Giant Berry Farms has chosen the five chefs who will compete in the company’s first Chef Invitational.
Tom Smith, California Giant director of foodservice, announced the event in March, with a goal of recognizing talented chefs and further solidify relationships with key foodservice industry members, according to a news release.
The chefs’ creations will inspire consumers, according to the release.
The finalist chefs who will compete in the July 10 event, and their creations, are:
- Ty Baloca, product development for Renaissance Food Group, Black and Blues Shrimp Kinalaw;
- Shane Henderson, chef for Ben E. Keith Co./Markon Cooperative, Strawberry Jalapeno Pancakes with Mixed Berry Syrup and Duck Wings;
- Matther Lauer, Sysco Corp., Marinated Wild Boar with Pickled Berry Salad;
- Luis Reyes, Sysco Corp., Berry, Tomato, Beet Salad; and
- Laura Vaughn, brands chef for U.S. Foods, Blueberry Lavender Financier, Raspberry Sorbet and Blackberry Compote.
“We were surprised and very pleased with the quantity and the caliber of recipes we received by this wide network of professionals,” Smith said in the release. “We are so excited to bring these five chefs to California and compete in an event where we get to see the recipes come off the page and prepared in front of us with the opportunity to taste each one.”