Supplies of U.S. fresh apples on hand May 1 were up a heaping helping over volume remaining the same time a year ago, but several varieties are holding strong on price.
The U.S. Apple Association is reporting that fresh apple inventories on May 1 totaled 46.6 million (42-pound) cartons, 20% higher than the same time a year ago.
Including apples intended for both fresh and processed markets, the total number of U.S. apples in storage on May 1 was 66.4 million bushels, 21% above a year ago.
Washington state accounted for 43.3 million cartons of fresh apples available May 1, or about 93% of total U.S. fresh apple supply. New York’s fresh apple holdings of 1.83 million cartons accounted for about 4% of May 1 inventories.
By variety, U.S. May 1 fresh apple holdings showed:
- Red delicious holdings of 12.01 million cartons were down 26% from a year ago but 4% above two years ago. The USDA reports Washington f.o.b.s for size 72 red delicious ranged from $13-17 on May 4, up from $10.90 to $16 per carton the same time last year.
- Gala apples on hand May 1 totaled 7.82 million cartons, up 20% from a year ago and 85% higher than two years ago. The f.o.b. price for size 72 Washington galas on May 4 was $18 to $28 per carton, up from $16.50 to $22.90 per carton a year ago.
- Golden delicious inventories on May 1 were 2.93 million cartons, 22% up from last year ago but down 7% compared with a year ago. The f.o.b. price for size 72 Washington golden delicious on May 4 was $21-30 per carton, compared with $24-27 per carton a year ago.
- Granny smith fresh apple inventories May 1 were 8.4 million cartons, easily more than double year-ago levels of 3.3 million cartons a year ago and 37% higher than two years ago. The f.o.b. price for size 72 Washington granny smith apples was $26-44 per carton on May 4, up from $20-27.90 per carton a year ago.
- Honeycrisp fresh apple supplies on May 1 were 2.44 million cartons, up more than double from both last year’s supply of 854,000 cartons and also up more than double two years ago. The f.o.b. price range for size 72 Washington Honeycrisp apples on May 4 was $48-65 per carton on May 4; the USDA was not issuing an f.o.b. report for Honeycrisp apples last year in early May.