( The Packer )

For more coronavirus coverage, check out our landing page on the topic here. To provide input on how the virus is affecting your business, take The Packer's survey.

Update: California garlic nears with market riding high

Garlic and garlic water won’t cure or prevent COVID-19, but some people haven’t gotten the word yet.

Snopes.com said the web-fueled claim that garlic has some power over coronavirus is false.

From the Snopes post:

"In early 2020 the global spread of COVID-19, a disease caused by the new coronavirus, saw the internet flooded with dubious medical advice about how to avoid or cure the illness. One such example — supposedly originating with the medical sage known as “old Chinese doctor” — held that consuming a bowl of boiled garlic water would “improve and cure” persons afflicted with the malady overnight:
Garlic has long been claimed as possessing qualities that aid in the prevention and treatment of various illnesses, including colds and flu, but scientific evidence supporting such claims is weak or lacking.
The World Health Organization (WHO) specifically addressed this rumor in reference to COVID-19 and noted that although “garlic is a healthy food that may have some antimicrobial properties,” there’s no evidence that “eating garlic has protected people from the new coronavirus”:
BBC News similarly reported of this rumor that:
In lots of cases, these kinds of remedies aren’t harmful in themselves, as long as they aren’t preventing you from following evidence-based medical advice. But they have the potential to be.
The South China Morning Post reported a story of a woman who had to receive hospital treatment for a severely inflamed throat after consuming 1.5kg of raw garlic.
We know, in general, that eating fruit and vegetables and drinking water can be good for staying healthy. However, there is no evidence specific foods will help fight this particular virus.
On the plus side, this “treatment” might help keep away others who could potentially infect you."

Google Trends also revealed that many people who searched for garlic had coronavirus in mind. Some of the fast-rising related search terms in the last month were:

• garlic immune system
  • does garlic kill viruses
  • does garlic help fight viruses
  • garlic antiviral
  • coronavirus garlic

The Washington Post also addressed the myth here.

There are well-documented health benefits of garlic but preventing coronavirus isn’t among them.

The garlic market has been running hot in recent weeks. Check out recent terminal market average prices for garlic in the charts below....

Comments
Submitted by M.Robinson on Tue, 03/24/2020 - 01:53

I was in a customs line at Schipol Airport for over 2 hours among three plane loads
of coughing and sneezing passengers from Asia. Four days later I came down with the most unexplained cough that went straight to the bottom of my lungs with absolutely no congestion. I do not get coughs. I was miserable - hacking endlessly. I consumed
and inhaled directly upon my nose fresh raw garlic many times during the day. Three nights later I thought it was my last. Increased my dose of garlic and woke up with nothing!!! Not one symptom left. It had completely left my system. If this wasn't the Corona I sure would like to know what - never, ever in 68 years have I had something similar. Don't give-up on garlic.

Submitted by R Henry on Tue, 03/24/2020 - 11:18

This is called anecdotal evidence, and is not a basis for objective understanding.

In reply to by M.Robinson (not verified)

Submitted by Nick on Tue, 04/07/2020 - 18:16

Quite the sophomoric response. While anecdotal, the possible benefits of inhaling allicin that is generated as raw garlic is crushed or chewed in the mouth has not been adequately researched. Are you confusing inhaling garlic with simply eating cooked garlic?

In reply to by R Henry (not verified)

Submitted by Nick on Fri, 04/10/2020 - 02:45

I use raw garlic to treat other viruses by eating half a clove diced up twice a day and its always done good clearing me up. I never tried cooked garlic to treat anything. Its more potent raw. I'm always open to more info.

In reply to by Nick (not verified)

Submitted by Healing is In The Plant on Sat, 03/28/2020 - 08:09

Garlic is the cure! They would never tell us that. Thanks for sharing. God Bless!

In reply to by M.Robinson (not verified)

Submitted by Ted on Fri, 04/03/2020 - 03:08

Exactly. It cures quite a bit of ailments. I actually laugh when I hear doctors say it doesn't work. Look up medicinal studies online about garlic. A TON of scientific studies. It absolutely works.

In reply to by Healing is In … (not verified)

Submitted by Darrell King on Wed, 04/29/2020 - 20:43

Garlic is a reknown superfoid that has been utilized by various cultures the world over for it's amazing benefits to one's hwalth, especially tge body's immunity. The legendary "Stinking Rose" was even used by a group of thieves during the dreaded Black Plague in order to protect them from the bubonic plague, as they robbed the dead of their possessions, & they never did contract the deadly disease as a result. So yeah garlic is pretty much super effective against any bacteria, fungus or virus out there. #GARLICROCKS

In reply to by Ted (not verified)

Submitted by Ashley on Fri, 04/24/2020 - 19:50

And yes you are absolutely correct they would never tell us that natural remedies work because they make no money off of it just like the cure to cancer is also a natural remedies. Garlic and honey will cure just about anything I agree the government does not have people's best interest at heart they will pay all the money in the world for us to not know the truth. Everything we need was put on this Earth. sulfur for example is a great antibiotic even to this day but it's dirt cheap. Nice to see someone else has a brain:) makes my heart smile. As far as the rest that believe the bullshit I feel bad for them garlic, honey, Apple cider vinegar, tea tree lemons, sulfur, pomagranets etc. If we take care of the Earth and grow things the right way it will take care of us but people don't want you to know that:) I never comment cuz I only see B's but I appreciated this thankyou .. Basically anything the govt is trying to debunk you should do and whatever they are trying to push you should not:)

In reply to by Healing is In … (not verified)

Submitted by Kay on Wed, 04/29/2020 - 14:17

Garlic is powerful when crushed and let to stay 10 mins before consumption. That's time enough to release allicin, which is the antiviral.

In reply to by Ashley (not verified)

Submitted by Kay on Wed, 04/29/2020 - 14:17

In reply to by Ashley (not verified)

Submitted by Kay on Wed, 04/29/2020 - 14:18

In reply to by Ashley (not verified)

Submitted by Darrell King on Wed, 04/29/2020 - 20:47

#FACTS

So happy to see that people are waking up to the truth. That Mother Earth has provided everything we need for our substanance & medicine. Screw Big Pharma, we're on to your bullshit now.

In reply to by Ashley (not verified)

Submitted by Nelson on Tue, 05/19/2020 - 22:42

I been drinking herb tea i suffer from constipation and i search for this spice clove i started eating 2 a day and i feel better and Garlic it has Amazing health benefits my Anty she eat 1 day and this make live more

In reply to by Darrell King (not verified)

Submitted by Shelia on Thu, 07/02/2020 - 06:12

My mom gets. Constipated and nothing works for her, what kind of tea do you drink?

In reply to by Nelson (not verified)

Submitted by Wally on Fri, 07/10/2020 - 22:24

Three years ago I was infected by virus that affect my throat really bad.

I WENT TO 3 DIFFERENT DOCTORS & GOT MEDICINE THEY PRESCRIBED.

None of the medicine worked.Only I had terrible side effects.So I gave up from medicine.

I turned to garlic with honey and glass of water,blend it and drink one glass in the morning and one before sleep for two weeks and my cough disappeared.

So, garlic with water and honey works for me much better than any other antibiotics and medicine.

In reply to by Healing is In … (not verified)

Submitted by Ted on Fri, 04/03/2020 - 03:01

Garlic is powerful and it works. I recovered from a Life Threatening MRSA infection by using organic garlic, when anti-biotics didn't work. Chop it up, wait a few minutes and it builds a chemical called Allicin which cures a lot of disease. 2 to 4 cloves a day. Garlic was also tested against both Sars and Mers which are coronavirus, and was proven to be effective. Look it up online yourself. After doing plenty of research on Garlic and finding certified scientific studies online , I was extremely confused why it hasn't been used as medicine. You can do the math.....

In reply to by L. Guzman (not verified)

Submitted by Olawale on Wed, 04/22/2020 - 22:08

How do we use garlic to prevent or cure covid 19

In reply to by Ted (not verified)

Submitted by John on Thu, 04/23/2020 - 15:33

Chop up a clove of garlic and wait 3 minutes then breath in the raw garlic 10 to 12 times then eat the garlic raw with a 12 ounce of purified water..repeat every 8 hours..

In reply to by Olawale (not verified)

Submitted by Cassandra L Cruckshank on Tue, 04/21/2020 - 21:08

How did you use it how much you use in and how often and what was the issue you were having that save your life

In reply to by L. Guzman (not verified)

Submitted by Cassandra L Cruckshank on Tue, 04/21/2020 - 21:08

In reply to by L. Guzman (not verified)

Submitted by Gracie on Fri, 04/17/2020 - 17:22

Was it like a dry itch in throat that made you cough?

In reply to by M.Robinson (not verified)

Submitted by Cassondra on Sun, 04/19/2020 - 11:05

I had the same situation. Except i work in a call center. My coworker and i worked one day. And developed a cough. By the end of the day the cough spread right into my lungs and i could feel the mucus buildong up quickly. I ate 1 clove. Next day i was sick. Got a fever. Ate 6 more cloves. This stopped the chest infection. But i could still feel it spreading my throat. So i got amoxicillian from the doctor. whatever it was, it was strong and fast. My coworker had up with pneumonia for 2 months. And regular pneumonia medicine wasnt working . But to be honest i dont think i would have recover as fast without taking garlic 7 cloves on that first 24hours. But its not the cure. But i think it can stop some spread in chest temporarily. But im also not a doctor so i dont know.

In reply to by M.Robinson (not verified)

Submitted by Lewis Addison on Fri, 04/24/2020 - 09:11

At 76 years old, must give garlic credit for my good health and keeping my girlfriend smilling for many years. She's a smart lady, who at age 41 decided to go back to school. Now shell be graduating from Coastal Carolina University, with a 4.0 GPA. She says, its all about the Garlic.

My advice to all young men: Read and study The Bible daily, avoud Televison, Eat quality food, and as the Real Estate man said,...Get a Lot while youre young...have a great Life, and if you get a chance kick a freedom stealing , baby kiling Demiocrar Commi in the ass every Day ....Ear Garlic every day my friend, keep you nmber one physical asset, your good health.

In reply to by Cassondra (not verified)

Submitted by lucy on Sun, 05/10/2020 - 02:52

I had some sort of flu / virus the whole of December after catching it from my mum who returned from Italy in Nov. It went straight to my lungs, weirdly the bottom of my lungs too. I had a high fever too, looking back I’m starting to wonder wether I had the first strain of the virus. Christmas Eve I remember trying every remedy as I was getting so frustrated and wasn’t getting any better, so I cut up garlic cloves and put them into a big water bottle to just sip when I could, I even chewed on a piece. The great thing was I couldn’t taste anything because my taste buds had gone. The next day I definitely felt a little better and could actually enjoy my Christmas dinner! I do think the garlic helped to ease some of my symptoms!

In reply to by M.Robinson (not verified)

Submitted by Natural Holistic Remedy Certified on Thu, 05/28/2020 - 19:22

It does work. I make my kids eat raw garlic every night via flu season it really helps. And even if it doesn’t cure you, it really cuts things short. Garlic is AMAZING!

In reply to by M.Robinson (not verified)

Submitted by JUN HERRERA on Tue, 06/09/2020 - 10:05

Hi sir, aside from eating RAW GARLIC, CAN I COOKED IT ALSO SO THAT I CAN INHALED AND EXHALE ITS AROMA? WILL IT WILL WORK STILL?

In reply to by M.Robinson (not verified)

Submitted by K. Hollingsworth on Wed, 03/25/2020 - 03:03

thank you M. Robinson for sharing your experience! That is most encouraging! I have also had good experience with fresh raw garlic helping me with viruses over past years. It’s just my personal experience. It it isn’t causing harm, seems it’s worth trying! And it has other health benefits for blood pressure and heart health. Thank you for sharing a most inspiring tale of what you’ve experienced! With a great outcome!

Submitted by Joe Bravo on Thu, 03/26/2020 - 01:13

I have been eating two-three cloves of raw garlic a day for months, long before CV was ever in the news. Frankly, I am addicted to it. I have it on toast, in soup, with everything. I even spread it on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I can't get enough of it. I am 67 years old. I would never consider garlic as a cure or protection against CV by itself, but I do believe I am strengthening my immune system by eating my three cloves daily along with a rich, plant based diet that also includes fruits of every color and raw nuts and seeds. Sure, I eat red meat once in a while, along with small portions of chicken and fish. I work out three times a week on cardio machines and free weights. But garlic is clearly my main stay, go-to food, and I can tell the difference it makes in my body. I will not give up on garlic, nor will I refrain from encouraging every person I meet to eat more raw garlic. Sure, no studies document the benefits of raw garlic against CV, but I am not going to wait for a study that no pharmaceutical company will ever fund before I decide to arm myself against this virus with a food that even has a hint of anti-viral properties. Maybe one silver lining in this dark, pandemic cloud is that we learn to eat and take better care of our bodies to protect ourselves from these invading pathogens. One can only hope. As for me. At 67, if I am going to go down, I am not going down without a fight.

Submitted by Ted on Fri, 04/03/2020 - 21:42

Garlic has proven to be effective against both Sars and Mers . It's also easy to find anti-viral and anti-bacterial studies that have been published. With your first search on Google you can pull up the scientific studies.

In reply to by Joe Bravo (not verified)

Submitted by Sahera on Thu, 03/26/2020 - 11:50

Garlic juice and ginger juice and boil water can help to cure covid19

Submitted by Chell on Sat, 04/25/2020 - 06:24

can't understand why they won't encourage people to more herbs. It's not like they'd be saying it's a cure. Science works, but homeopathy been working for thousands of years through many sicknesses as well

In reply to by Sahera (not verified)

Submitted by Meg on Fri, 03/27/2020 - 12:33

Hi, I have been taking garlic daily since 20 years ago, I am now 48. 5 to 7 cloves, heated in oven for 20 min at 150 degree Celsius. It works remarkably, rarely had any cold or flu, if I did it was only for a short while. It works to bring down the blood pressure as well. So, something worth trying.

Submitted by Diana Scoccia on Sat, 03/28/2020 - 16:08

To the naysayers out there, about once year I come down with lung congestion that stays put until I chew on a couple of cloves of raw garlic. It works like a charm at breaking it up every time. I take it regularly every time I get that heavy feeling in my lungs, and most assuredly every time it works at breaking it up once again. It’s no coincidence when it has worked dozens of times.
I have read before that raw garlic is antiviral, antifungal and antibacterial even against antibiotic resistant staph and strep. I put it to the test once years ago when my lab, who had a habit of occasionally rolling in disgusting things, jumped up and layed her head on my arm. Within minutes I had a red and itchy patch where she had touched my arm. I immediately rubbed fresh garlic juice on the area, and within minutes both the redness and itchiness completely disappeared. Was it staph? Quite possibly. All I know is no one will convince fresh garlic isn’t antiviral and antibacterial against at least many kinds of viruses and bacteria. I also read that bacteria can’t mutate against the effectiveness of garlic. Why WHO would say garlic “may be”
antimicrobial is nonsense. Get yourself a couple Petri dishes and do a simple experiment a second grader could do. The proof is there.

Submitted by Daniel on Mon, 03/30/2020 - 17:20

Everytime I get the flu I eat raw garlic and I heal fast. More than that if I start eating it when people are infected around me I dont get it even if I get sneezed and coughed upon.
Had staph infection in my throat multiple times on my tonsils. Doc said I have to take them out, do penicilin 2 weeks, 3 months moldamin then surgery or I risk heart disease and joint rheumatism. Said that to me 17 years ago. Im still fine. Every time the staph returned I eat garlic for about a week and it dissapears.
For the coronavirus Im more than sure garlic would be the nastiest surprise.
Its very important to chew the garlic raw, as cooking it will destroy the allicin compound. Also the stomach acid will neutralize some of it, but by chewing it you get some of the compounds in your blood as they permeate through the sensitive membranes in your mouth.
To avoid burns as many are not used to eat it raw you can mix it with honey or mix with food. You dont have to eat too much of it, just a couple of cloves per day as much as you can tolerate.
Im not a doctor but what Im writing here I used with success on myself and I see others were helped by it too .
Follow the doctors indications but you can use it as a complement, an ace in the sleeve if you wish.

Submitted by Nick on Fri, 04/10/2020 - 02:59

I've treated strep throat the flu and what ever else i been sick with. Raw and diced up to mix the juices.

In reply to by Daniel (not verified)

Submitted by Bruno Corvalan on Tue, 03/31/2020 - 12:25

Any one know about the garlic market forecast for the next 3 months?

Submitted by kg on Thu, 04/02/2020 - 23:55

I too am a believer in garlic. It always stops a cold dead in its tracks if I catch it early enough and chew it raw. It has to be taken at onset of symptoms to prevent virus from catching. Even if the infection develops into a cold, garlic will still be effective at alleviating symptoms and shortening duration of illness. I usually take in combination with echinacea as soon as I feel any stress on my immune system.

Though I am now taking preventatively in these extraordinary times, I usually don't eat raw garlic daily if I am feeling well as I fear it may be too powerful in large quantities in the intestinal tract–I think it can also depopulate good microorganisms from the gut. Great for clearing candida though. I also have taken it a few times intrarectaly and it rid me of hemorrhoids. I kid you not.

Submitted by Lily on Fri, 04/03/2020 - 11:48

They would never tell you it works Or helps because they want to sell you the cure. Garlic has been healing people way before modern medicine was ever invented.

Submitted by George “the not so” Great on Sat, 04/04/2020 - 18:39

I love garlic raw, pickled, cooked, steeped or however you slice it. Been doing raw garlic and ginger every morning for awhile. Prolly won’t cure CV but be sure it will prep you up nicely for the battle!

In reply to by Lily (not verified)

Submitted by Anonymous on Sun, 04/05/2020 - 07:02

My father was a doctor. He told me make many mistakes because they still does not know how our body really work. Doctors are students guessing and learning. I don't believe to much in doctors. They are more afraid to give natural medicine not FDA approve that pharmacy medicine approved by FDA that may cause other problem to our body.

Submitted by Monica on Sun, 04/05/2020 - 22:01

Garlic works. A few years back I had an ear infection in one ear. I lost my hearing for a month. Two rounds of strong antibiotics didn’t help. I still couldn’t hear. After lots of research I made a concoction of olive oil and crushed garlic over a double boiler. I simmered the oil and garlic for 20 minutes. Cooled and strained it into ear dropper bottle. I put in my ear for 10 minutes 3-4 times and day in addition to eating raw garlic. Within 3 days my hearing was fully restored. For thousands of years garlic has been used for its healing properties. How long have we had Western medicine pharmaceuticals? Wait, who is making money from garlic?

Submitted by Monica on Sun, 04/05/2020 - 22:01

Submitted by Monica on Sun, 04/05/2020 - 22:01

Submitted by Leo on Mon, 04/06/2020 - 06:20

The following works for me:
Take only one clove of raw garlic or a piece of old ginger (young ginger is too mild), cut it in 5-6 pieces, then gently chew each piece slowly, do not rush to spit it out, let the juices do the work in your mouth, only then spit it out - do not swallow it (and microbes). Garlic juices can be strong and unpleasant - so do not rush, gently bite them. Best to use it as soon as you start having a sore throat feeling. Try it first, check your throat, then call it a myth if it does not work for you.
In addition to the above, first thing in the morning, make a juice from 1 orange and 1 lime or 1/2 lemon per person, use fruits fibre as well. Add a spoon of honey if required. Drink on empty stomach.

Submitted by R. Z. on Mon, 04/06/2020 - 23:21

I usually get the Flu since I moved to Florida once or twice a year. I regularly eat Garlic, but not every day, but I eat Onions almost every day. So basically I always have one or or the other in my system. I read both are good so I don't take any chances and eat both. I like Red Onions a lot.
in any case, when I get the Flu, my system is primed for my Flu Recipe. I take Raw Onions and Garlic and put them in a pot. I dump Lentil Soup on top. I warm it and down it goes. You can believe it or not, but the Flu is almost gone by the next day, and I have all my energy back. Try it and you will see

Submitted by John Jon on Tue, 04/07/2020 - 16:22

I have sold garlic many years ago. Health benefits of garlic have been know for many years now. Garlic increases blood flow in the body as well as improves your immune system. By having a healthier immune system you are better at fighting off any virus' or flu's that might attack you system. Also Snopes has been wrong on many occasions I don't take them as a very good creditable source. There has been plenty of research on garlic and garlic oil and the immune system.