That prompted Wegmans to recall bagged and bulk lemons and bagged oranges from produce departments, as well as almost 40 items from seafood and deli departments that were prepared with lemons from Freshouse.
According to the Freshouse recall notice, the company has stopped production and distribution of anything packed on the equipment, and it is “taking corrective actions and continually evaluating our cleaning and sanitation regimes.”
No illnesses have been reported in connection with the recalls.
Wegmans Food Markets Inc. recalled these items from produce departments:
- Wegmans brand 2-pound bags of lemons, with a Universal Product Code of 7789015917, purchased from July 31 to Aug. 7;
- Fresh from the Start 2-pound bags of lemons, with lot codes of 174551 and 174552;
- Wegmans brand 4-pound bags of California Valencia oranges, with a UPC of 7789052363, purchased from July 31 to Aug. 7; and
- Wegmans bulk lemons with a UPC of 4033, purchased from July 31 to Aug. 7.
The citrus was sold in Wegmans stores in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland, and in Brooklyn and Harrison, N.Y. The company alerted consumers who bought the items using the company’s Shoppers Club loyalty cards, according to the Wegmans recall notice on the Food and Drug Administration’s website.
Wegmans also recalled almost 40 items prepared with lemons and lemon juice, including seafood items, pizza and sandwiches.
Freshouse recalled 10 items, according to a notice on the FDA’s recall website.
The items include the four Wegmans recalled products, and:
- Freshouse limes in 2-pound mesh bags, with a UPC of 333831468, with one of these trace numbers on the closure clip or bag: 174618, 174570, 174571 or 174572;
- Nature’s Promise-Foodhold USA (Ahold Delhaize private label) organic limes in 1-pound mesh bags with UPC of 8826753813 and trace number of 174375;
- Fresh from the Start (Freshouse brand) Red “B” potatoes in 3-pound mesh bags with UPC of 3338351003 and trace number of 174575, 174403 or 174595;
- 40-pound boxes of limes shipped to wholesalers, with shipper reference numbers of 1187112, 1187099, 1187128 and 1186832;
- 50-pound bags of red potatoes shipped to wholesalers, with shipper reference numbers of 1187098, 320873, 320992 and 2182424; and;
- 40-pound boxes of Valencia oranges with shipper reference number of 1187099, 1187015 and 1187112.
The recalled products were shipped directly to retailer distribution centers in North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, and Virginia, and to wholesalers in Maryland and North Carolina, according to Freshouse’s recall notice.
“We voluntarily issued this recall out of an abundance of caution with the steadfast intent to minimize even the slightest risk to public health,” Jamey Friedman, Freshouse president, said in the notice. “We take food safety and this recall seriously. Freshouse is committed to providing consumers with fresh, nutritious, safe products.”