Farm Journal’s produce division brand The Packer has won a national design award from the American Society of Business Publication Editors.
The Packer received an ASBPE 2018 Azbee National Silver Award for newspaper redesign, an honor announced at the national Azbee Awards of Excellence banquet in Washington, D.C.
The Packer also won a Central Region Silver Award in newspaper redesign. In addition, Produce Retailer magazine won a Central Region Bronze Award for front cover photo illustration, also in the design category. Those awards were presented at the AZBEE central region luncheon in Kansas City.
“The Packer’s redesign appeals to today’s more sophisticated readers,” said editorial director Greg Johnson. “We are proud to be recognized by our peers for this new look.”
Design director Alison Fulton led the redesign.
“With the brand’s print makeover, we introduced a striking new design featuring more graphics, larger photos, more charts and easy-to-read fonts, plus links to online content, all providing a more user-friendly design that’s easy for readers,” Fulton said.
Fulton is also the designer for Farm Journal’s Pork magazine, which won a Central Region Bronze award in magazine redesign.
The Packer, Farm Journal Media
- Category: Design > Newspaper Redesign
- Title: The Packer Redesign
- Level: National Silver Award, Central Region Silver Award
- Team: Alison Fulton, Design Director; Greg Johnson, Editor; Fred Wilkinson, Managing Editor; Chris Koger, News Editor; Daniel Vanderhorst, Sections Editor; Amelia Freidline, Copy Chief; Tom Karst, National Editor; Ashley Nickle, Staff Writer; Shannon Shuman, Publisher; Charlene Finck, Exec. Vice President, CCO
Produce Retailer, Farm Journal Media
- Category: Design > Front Cover Photo Illustration
- Level: Regional Bronze Award
- Title of Entry: Who's handling the future of produce?
- Team: Alison Fulton, Design Director; Pamela Riemenschneider, Editor; Greg Johnson, Editorial Director; Shannon Shuman, VP, Publisher; Charlene Finck, Executive Vice President and CCO
Pork, Farm Journal Media
- Category: Design > Magazine Redesign
- Level: Regional Bronze Award
- Title of Entry: Farm Journal's Pork Redesign
- Team: Alison Fulton, Design Director; JoAnn Alumbaugh, Editor; Cliff Becker, Vice President, Livestock Division; Charlene Finck, Executive Vice President, CC
About Farm Journal
Farm Journal Media is the nation’s leading business information and media company serving the agricultural market. Started 140 years ago with the preeminent Farm Journal magazine, the company serves the row crop, livestock, produce and retail sectors through 26 branded websites, eNewsletters and phone apps; 11 business magazines; 70 events; five nationally broadcasted television and radio programs; a robust mobile text marketing business; and an array of data-driven paid information products.
Farm Journal Media also is the majority shareholder of the online equipment marketplace Machinery Pete LLC. In 2010, the Company established the non-profit, public charity Farm Journal Foundation dedicated to sustaining agriculture’s ability to meet the vital needs of a growing population through education and empowerment.