Photo courtesy National Mango Board.
More retailers went wild for mangoes in this year’s Mango Mania Display Contest.
The National Mango Board contest saw an 83% increase in participation — 183 entries — during the July promotion, compared to last year’s Mango Mania.
Stores were encouraged to cross-promote Tajin spice with the mangoes, and use National Mango Board point-of-sale materials and props to catch shoppers’ interest.
“The response and enthusiasm we received this year for the display contest was remarkable,” Valda Coryat, the board’s director of marketing, said in a news release. “This year, the contest broke records on participation and an overall increase in the quality of the entries — the competition gets tough each year!”
Retailers that participate see the contest as a way to boost sales and increase movement of the fruit, Coryat said in the release.
Winners placed in two categories, according to store size, and first through fourth place winners received $1,000, $800, $600 and $400, respectively.
Winners with 1-6 store registers are:
- First — Eddie Palacio and Marlene Melendez, Elrod’s Cost Plus, Ft. Worth.
- Second — Juan Delgado and Romero Gonzalez, Elrod’s Cost Plus, Dallas.
- Third — Sergio Fernandez, Elrod’s Cost Plus, Dallas.
- Fourth — Nathen Conat, Bayview Thriftway, Olympia, Wash.
Winners with 7 or more registers are:
- First — Garrett Fowden, Payson Market, Payson, Utah.
- Second — Favio Martinez, Foodland Markets, Forest Hill, Texas.
- Third — Maria Chavez, Foodland Markets, Fort Worth.
- Fourth — Israel Huerta and Emmanuel Lopez, Elrod’s Cost Plus, Dallas.