Another bit of good news has been published about the medical benefits that come from eating more fruits and vegetables.
Published in The British Medical Journal and reported by medicalexpress.com, the research said two studies have concluded that higher consumption of fruit, vegetables and whole grain foods are associated with a lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
The nugget from the report: “The researchers calculate that every 66 grams per day increase in total fruit and vegetable intake was associated with a 25% lower risk of developing type 2 diabetes.”
Later, the report said:
“And for fruit and vegetables, the findings also suggest that consumption of even a moderately increased amount among populations who typically consume low levels could help to prevent type 2 diabetes.”
Check out Google’s coronavirus search trends page here
From that page:
US: Trending Coronavirus questions, past week
- 1 Can mosquitoes transmit coronavirus?
- 2 Is throwing up a symptom of coronavirus?
- 3 Is diarrhea a symptom of coronavirus?
- 4 Where to get tested for coronavirus near me?
- 5 Can coronavirus live on food?
While there is so much to gain from eating fruits and vegetables, it s disconcerting that consumers remain concerned about coronavirus on fruits and vegetables.
Under Google Trends search results for fruits and vegetables over the past 12 months, the top “rising” related searches are:
- coronavirus on fruits and vegetables
- how to sanitize vegetables and fruits
- antiviral fruits and vegetables
- krystal fruits and vegetables
- fruits and vegetables are typically low in energy and rich in micronutrients such as vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients.
- how to disinfect vegetables and fruits
- disinfect fruits and vegetables
- how to wash fruits and vegetables
- online fruits and vegetables near me
- best way to wash fruits and vegetables
- how to clean fruits and vegetables
- vitamin c fruits and vegetables chart
- fruits and vegetables rich in vitamin c
- vitamin c fruits and vegetables list in hindi
- washing fruits and vegetables
- fruits and vegetables home delivery
- vitamin c
- vitamin c in fruits and vegetables
- online vegetables and fruits
- vitamin c vegetables and fruits
- vitamin c fruits and vegetables list
- vitamin c fruits
- clean fruits and vegetables
- fruits and vegetables online
The search trends highlight consumer thinking about the immune system benefits of fruits and vegetables, online shopping and home delivery, and, of course, washing and “sanitizing” fruits and vegetables.”
Check out the Produce Marketing Association’s latest report on consumer insights during coronavirus
In “wave 6” of consumer research, PMA reported 56% of consumers agreed with the statement “I am concerned about the safety/cleanliness of fresh produce now.” That is down 5% from the initial survey, but still too high for comfort.