The Kingsville, Ontario-based Sunset brand received recognition for:
- Best Overall Strawberry (Dreamberry, from the Wow berry line)
- Best Cocktail Cucumber (Qukes)
- People’s Choice/Kids’ Choice Cucumber (Cloud Cukes)
- Kids’ Choice Pepper/Best Specialty Bell Pepper (Aloha)
- Orange Bell Pepper (Sunset orange bell pepper)
- Best Cocktail Tomato (Campari)
- Best Specialty Long Pepper (Sweet Twister)
“This competition is focused on flavor, which is the driving force behind everything we do,” Paul Mastronardi, president and CEO, said in a news release. “We’re proud to support and be recognized by our local community.”
Entries are judged through a blind taste test by a panel of experts, including representatives from the Ontario Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Affairs, chefs and produce managers, according to the release. All entries are also voted on by the public.
R.E.A.C.H. International, a local charitable organization, hosts the annual greenhouse competition, and proceeds support the development of schools and clinics in Uganda.