Cindy Jewell, vice president of marketing for Watsonville-based California Giant Berry Farms, has been chosen as the honoree at the United Fresh Women in Produce reception.
Jewell, who has more than three decades’ experience in the produce industry, will be the featured speaker June 26 at the Reception Honoring Women in Produce during United Fresh’s convention in Chicago, according to a news release.
The reception honors the contributions of all women in the produce industry and gives one the opportunity to share her story and experiences, according to the release.
United Fresh members industrywide can nominate someone for the honor.
“Cindy’s strength and curiousity drive her to advance strategic marketing and communications innovation for every project she touches,” United Fresh president and CEO Tom Stenzel said in the release.
“She has worked tirelessly to stay engaged with the industry in order to harness her expertise and commitment to increasing consumption. We’re honored to have her leading the United Fresh Board of Directors this year and to also be able to celebrate her dedication with this honor.”
Before joining California Giant in 2004, Jewell spent 19 years at the California Strawberry Commission, becoming executive vice president, according to the release.
She also has served on numerous industry boards, including the United Fresh Grower-Shipper Board, the United Fresh Produce Marketing and Merchandising Council and the United Fresh Start Foundation Board of Trustees. She is currently chairwoman of the United Fresh Board of directors, according to the release.
Additionally, she has been involved with the Produce for Better Health Foundation, is involved with the Salinas Grower-Shipper Association and the Alliance for Food and Farming, and serves as director of the California Giant Foundation and its annual Tour de Fresh event, according to the release.
Previous Women in Produce honorees:
- Dan’l Mackey Almy, DMA Solutions Inc.;
- Tonya Antle, Organic Produce Network;
- Frieda Rapoport Caplan, Frieda’s Inc.;
- Karen Caplan, Frieda’s Inc.;
- Margaret D’Arrigo Martin, Margaret Inc.;
- Jan DeLyser, California Avocado Commission;
- Lorelei DiSogra, United Fresh Produce Association;
- Jan Fleming, Strube Celery & Vegetable Co.;
- Janice Honigberg, Sun Belle Inc.;
- Lorri Koster, Koster Communications/Coastal Grower Magazine;
- Julie Krivanek, Krivanek Consulting Inc.;
- Kathleen Nave, California Table Grape Commission;
- Lisa McNeece, Grimmway Enterprises Inc.;
- Teri Miller, The Fresh Market;
- Dr. Martha Rhodes-Roberts, Roberts Associates;
- Steffanie Smith, Andrew Smith Co.;
- Heather Shavey, Costco Wholesale;
- Mayda Sotomayor-Kirk, Seald Sweet International/Greenyard USA;
- Rosemary Talley, Talley Farms; and
- Jenney Tenney, The Kroger Co.